Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Re: South vs SE zone split

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:33 pm

and how many people do you think would hunt the river during the late season? not many I bet, just the guys that know it and hunt it regularly. So pressure would be the same as any other given day.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:41 pm

I think you would also get a fair amount of the guys who don't know what they are doing and don't hunt it regularly out there. If you reduce the allowed hunting zone to a fraction of the size but still allow everyone to hunt it is going to be crowed as heck. Surely not everyone will make a trip down but it will be busy

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm

River is already pretty crowded.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Star tribune report says hunting was hot on the river after the split. Averages from 4-6 ducks per person. Said they checked 25 people near red wing and all had limits. North lake perhaps!

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:57 pm

North lake was a battle zone. Sounded like a percent of the population had to die

wooduck26
Coot Commander

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 am

randywatson wrote:and how many people do you think would hunt the river during the late season? not many I bet, just the guys that know it and hunt it regularly. So pressure would be the same as any other given day.

You could not be any more wrong if you tried..... When the rest of the state is closed the river is a NUT HOUSE!!!! There are people who have clearly never been on that stretch of water.... or have no idea where the legal hunting boundaries are.

Good time to field hunt...... 8-)

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 am

wooduck26 wrote:
randywatson wrote:and how many people do you think would hunt the river during the late season? not many I bet, just the guys that know it and hunt it regularly. So pressure would be the same as any other given day.

You could not be any more wrong if you tried..... When the rest of the state is closed the river is a NUT HOUSE!!!! There are people who have clearly never been on that stretch of water.... or have no idea where the legal hunting boundaries are.

I am planning on being "that guy" this season.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:22 am

..... I don't need anyone's honey hole, but if you could PM an access or two, or just point a general direction a guy could get some birds, it would be appreciated. I hate being THAT guy. Or, if you have room, I have a couple mojo's and my kids say I call pretty could......

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Trigger wrote:
wooduck26 wrote:

I am planning on being "that guy" this season.

Guess you should try gettin out of weaver and wabasha and try other less crowded spots on the river. 2nd opener we didnt see another soul. 2 limits by 707am.

Back to the split zone I35 would be a better boundary. Itd be ritarded to split rochester in half. That would just put even more pressure on your river.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Do the birds not head west out of Rochester late in the year?

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”