Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014 Snow Goose Reports

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 am

Bill Gilbertson wrote:
Trigger wrote:Shot 160 adults south of here over the weekend using 700 windsocks and 4 e-callers. We were about a mile north of some dbag guide service that had every gadget and gizmo that a snow goose nerd could ever dream of, pretty sure they got skunked. All the guides were packing up and heading back to Arkansas to hunt the juvies that they need in order to be able to decoy.

I bet by the end of this month the birds will be in and around SoDak. Maybe even a little north of there. Some south, but fewer than whats north.

We need some photos to get us excited.

Trigger, what was the secret to your success compared to the guides?

I am going with First Flight Finishers (Adam Johnson).

I quit taking pics of dead birds years ago. And our secret? It's not really a secret, but if you walk out to your guides spread and see a bunch of flyers, he put those there for your eyes, not the birds.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Lots of "interference" moving NW from the SE on Omaha NEXRAD

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:16 pm

I have guys working in aberdeen today and they are seeing snows going over about every 10-20 minutes.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:40 pm

I may be off by 1.5 weeks late in Bismarck seeing scout flocks at this rate... They could be in SW ND right now.

A bit of snow for northern NE and SD tonight and a cool off the next few days. So that'll keep them back south for a couple of days.

And here is a solid prediction: SD will be a 3 ringed circus this coming weekend through the following weekend. :lol: If I was going, I'd go next Monday to limit the weekend warrior sneakers/jumpers since I decoy hunt.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:01 pm

It amazes me how fast they can move. I honestly wasn't planning on being in ND til early to mid April...especially with them saying just last week this Spring was going to be well below average temps. A lot can change in the next week or two...guess we'll see what happens may have to be prepared to go a bit earlier. I think we are going to try and target juvies anyway this year so early-mid April may not be far off.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:38 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:It amazes me how fast they can move. I honestly wasn't planning on being in ND til early to mid April...especially with them saying just last week this Spring was going to be well below average temps. A lot can change in the next week or two...guess we'll see what happens may have to be prepared to go a bit earlier. I think we are going to try and target juvies anyway this year so early-mid April may not be far off.

Reasoning?

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Birds so high right now you can barely see them. Must be some good low level jet stream winds today.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:It amazes me how fast they can move. I honestly wasn't planning on being in ND til early to mid April...especially with them saying just last week this Spring was going to be well below average temps. A lot can change in the next week or two...guess we'll see what happens may have to be prepared to go a bit earlier. I think we are going to try and target juvies anyway this year so early-mid April may not be far off.

Reasoning?

Something a little different...never specifically planned a trip just to target juvies before. I would like to do one trip during the masses and one a few weeks later but buddies can't swing 2 trips a year

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

I heard that it is to be 78 in Kansas City today. Wow....
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:

Reasoning?

Something a little different...never specifically planned a trip just to target juvies before. I would like to do one trip during the masses and one a few weeks later but buddies can't swing 2 trips a year

So basically just hunting later to catch more juvies than adults?

Last year we hunted 3 weekends. First was this weekend last year and shot 20 hard earned adults. Last weekend shot close to 200 with about 90% juvies. Was cool seeing migration progress.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”