Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Proposed season, what do you think?

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 pm

So, been giving this a lot of thought. Since Mn shoots a majority of their ducks in the first 9 days of the season why wouldn't the season run for 9-12 days shut down over a weekend then hold a special 1 day hunt for people that have not had a license in the last 10 years. See I'm not all for ywd because my son hunts with me about 30 days a year ( yes I take him on ywd in both Mn and Wisconsin, why because they offer it).
Being able to take people that have not had a license in the past 10 years may help out hunter numbers and should allow Minnesotans to harvest their ducks.
Any thoughts? If ywd would remain it should only be for kids that have not hunted ducks in the past.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: Proposed season, what do you think?

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

If they hadn't gone for 10 years why would they want to start going now?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:50 pm

I haven't golfed in ten years, but if I had a free round I would go. I would probably shoot 3 over and get hooked again in it like I used to. Or I would shoot 120, and never want to do it again but would appreciate the chance to go and not feel like I got ripped off.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 am

dwendt wrote:If they hadn't gone for 10 years why would they want to start going now?

Some of you younger pups may not have gotten busy in life, started having kids, or like me had kids that started sport (lots of sports are year round) it doesn't take long for ten years to go by.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 am

If most of those guys (sorry ladies, but it's mostly guys) aren't a pile of DBags I think this would have merit. I don't know if it's their own season, though.

Use some of the opportunities in the refuge system for mid-year recruitment. Leverage the MWA/DU chapters and local sportsman's clubs to have "hunter recruitment" days and give them some duck stamp money to promote it, get some shells, help with licenses/stamp costs, etc. Applicants can't have hunted in the last 10 years, get bonus points if they are bringing a youth between 12-17 years old, or preference for young adults between 18 and 25 that haven't hunted.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Why again, do we want more hunters?
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Why again, do we want more hunters?

It's not that we actually want more hunters, but it's Liberal feel good crap that says we're concerned and that more people make a stronger voice, and gosh darn it~ we're doing something about it.... not that it will ever actually work...

....and this would replace YWD, so it's like a win-win. The huggers get to hug and have a BBQ, maybe the rest of us get a teal season instead of conflict with YWD.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:20 am

trollymctrollerton wrote:Why again, do we want more hunters?

Because at some point we are going to need to vote to keep on doing what we are doing, and numbers on your side is a good thing

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 am

You believe hunter numbers will ever amount to the majority of voters??

If your answer is anything but no, consider yourself "that" guy.
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 am

As long as there are government agencies, non-profits, firearms manufacturers, ammo manufacturers, truck manufacturers, hunting equipment manufacturers, outdoor retailers, and a few hundred thousand nationally willing to spend $ on stuff.... you will have a duck season.

Except after 2020 in MN, cuz we all know that's when it ends here.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”