Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Shortening days......

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:43 am

I've really begun to notice the shortening days. I spend all Spring looking forward to more day light, time in the boat, firing up the Weber, getting around the state and camping with the family.... but then start looking forward to fall, shorter days, cooler nights, and all the good that comes with it.

Last week I saw my first family flock of mallards in flight. I'm not sure where the statistics are, but based on observations compared to past years, this was a banner production year for puddlers. Even getting reports of pintails hanging on some of my favorite holes that traditional won't start holding ducks until teal migration starts.

The group of birds I call "black birds" are starting to flock-up. Sweet corn is piling out of the fields. Saw my first Monarch yesterday.... and the first snowblower showed up at my local Ace Hardware.

Early goose is fine, but doesn't compare to ducks for me. I love "bonus" geese when duck hunting, though, but am only a tag-a-long on goose specific outings. I like the quickness of ducks, they bring more surprise. I like water sets better. A lot more uncomfortable, but it's the way I was brought in to duck hunting.

I wish we'd dump the daylight savings time bit, give us more hours at the end of the day. I can never remember which way is standard, but more hours at the end of the day gives a little more light to grill by, and a bit more time to sleep in the morning, and maybe one more shot in a low ball to think about how good it all is.

Damn skippy.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Shortening days......

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 am

I really notice the shorter days just recently. Can't wait the best time of year is just around the corner: Duck and Goose hunting, football and cool air.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

Driving home from Western Mn on a sunny Sunday afternoon with the Vikes on the radio... always a favorite.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

I don't get too excited about fall until I smell the cool diesel air resultant from the increase in school bus activity, just cold enough where it slightly stings your nostrils.

Then I get into a panic of what I didn't get done over the summer, how much I need to winterize and how I'm going to find time to un-bury my hunting stuff that found its way to the back of the shed.

I do look forward to it though. Can't wait to fire the shotgun even if only to warm my hands with the barrel.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

Right around the corner...almost caught up on work but still need to get my roof replaced before mid September or insurance is dropping me haha

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Hansen wrote:I really notice the shorter days just recently. Can't wait the best time of year is just around the corner: Duck and Goose hunting, football and cool air.

x2
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Best time of the year starts in a month. Harvest, hunting and football. Just about every morning feels like an early bowhunting morning this summer too. Can't wait for August to be over.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Think we already lost some doves. Hear some showed up down south. Maybe saw a quarter what I normally see in the morning on my way to work.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

lanyard wrote:Driving home from Western Mn on a sunny Sunday afternoon with the Vikes on the radio... always a favorite.

Yep, I've become a football fan by way of listening to the radio on the way home from duck trips. I'll cut the morning hunt early on Sunday to ensure getting the full game to listen too. It makes the 5 hour drives back to the shyties much more tolerable.

The wind and mist this morning was a good wake up call that summers on it's downward slide to fall.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm

The big one for me is that first breeze that "smells" fall, typically happens one morning right before sunrise middle/end of August. This morning "felt" it, but didn't smell it. Won't be long and I'll be taking the "long" way on my out of Shyties commutes.

My wife is well aware I'm looking for a transfer.... just need the coin to make it happen. I even started looking at the New Farmer programs!

God I hate the Cities.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”