Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Anyone Else Start Painting Their Dekes?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm

I got started on my divers yesterday. Fairly nice weather for it, as long as you can paint out of the direct sun.
I like getting my done early so that the paint has a good long time to cure and harden before actual use.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone Else Start Painting Their Dekes?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:31 pm

How often do you paint? I've never even thought about painting mine.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 pm

I paint the white on my geese every couple of years, most important part is the butt. Next time you got some goose floaters out motor a couple hundred yards away and look at them, the white butts bobbing up and down is all you can see. The rest of my decoys I hose off and armoral every year, if you can find low shine armoral that's best, if not use the normal stuff and throw some dirt on them to dull the shine. That stuff brings back the paint like you wouldn't believe. I use 15 year old duck decoys that I've never repainted, looks great after armoraling them.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:03 pm

StuStiltman wrote:I paint the white on my geese every couple of years, most important part is the butt. Next time you got some goose floaters out motor a couple hundred yards away and look at them, the white butts bobbing up and down is all you can see. The rest of my decoys I hose off and armoral every year, if you can find low shine armoral that's best, if not use the normal stuff and throw some dirt on them to dull the shine. That stuff brings back the paint like you wouldn't believe. I use 15 year old duck decoys that I've never repainted, looks great after armoraling them.

If you were flying above them you would probably say the black is the most important.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:42 pm

I paint the white on my divers every other year. I did it last year.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Trigger wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:I paint the white on my geese every couple of years, most important part is the butt. Next time you got some goose floaters out motor a couple hundred yards away and look at them, the white butts bobbing up and down is all you can see. The rest of my decoys I hose off and armoral every year, if you can find low shine armoral that's best, if not use the normal stuff and throw some dirt on them to dull the shine. That stuff brings back the paint like you wouldn't believe. I use 15 year old duck decoys that I've never repainted, looks great after armoraling them.

If you were flying above them you would probably say the black is the most important.

Yep, from above black is more noticeable. On the water white is, on big lakes geese will fly low over the water sometimes, flashing white is extremely visible from a distance. Look at your old faded decoys, are they darker or lighter than they were when new? Mine tend to darken, touching up the white seems to be more important.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 pm

triplecurler wrote:How often do you paint? I've never even thought about painting mine.

I paint my dekes every couple of years, depending upon usage. I also just picked up a bunch of diver dekes at the Wanamingo Swap meet that need some serious attention.

Last year I tried the U.V. paint kit for Mallards. The white and black were okay, but the factory gray really sucked. I'll be redoing some of those dekes as well.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 am

I'm on year 3 of not getting a full Herter's 72 diver spread refurbed. The plan is GREAT.... execution, meh.

The only repaint I've ever done was a quickie job on old flambeau mallards to make a quick diver set. It worked for the trip I needed it to.

Other than that, have never painted a plastic decoy.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:43 am

So if I was bored this winter and decided to paint some floaters and shells;

What kind of paint are you using?
Clear coat at end?
Colors?
Where'd you get it?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:53 pm

I just use G&H decoys, so need to repaint as the paint does not fall off. :mrgreen:

Once in a while soak them upside down for a few minutes and use a scrub brush to remove any dirt/grime.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”