Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Re: Snow Goose Hunting in the Fall

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Deer opener is Fri - Sun in November. That is 3 days. Sure, if you go asking that weekend or the day or two before - you may get a NO.

Yes - some motels are filled that weekend, but the following weeks and weekends will be open. You might be the only ones there.

Yes - posting does go up 5 fold the week before deer opener, but that just means you have to ask permission and sometimes that is good because it limits competition the next morning.

Most landowners are done (tagged out) by Sunday.

Pick fields without tree lines and old farmsteads or nearby CRP and your chances of getting on improve.

November hunting can be good - weather is either your best friend or worst nightmare.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:13 am

Is it still lying if one believes all the siht he makes up?
Dominate The Skies.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks to those that replied to the original subject of this posting. I really just wanted to know about fall Snow Goose hunting, nothing else.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am

cstemig wrote:Thanks to those that replied to the original subject of this posting. I really just wanted to know about fall Snow Goose hunting, nothing else.

Welcome to the ebbs and flows of conversation.

To answer the orginal post. Yes, I have specifically targeted snows in the fall. Thanks for asking.

Got any more questions like that?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Fowler what year specifically was the last one you hunted SD? ND? You say you go out of your way to hunt away from crowds. Where do you do that and still shoot snows in SD? Do you hunt the 35 lost snows with the lessers in Pierre?

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:43 am

I have hunted SD for about every year but one in the last 15, didn't draw a few years ago. I can't remember seeing a snow spread and I hunt in the heart of snow goose country. The pressure is getting higher but more for field hunting for mallards. I'm sure honkers and snow get killed but most guys I see set for field hunting mallards.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”