Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Maxxed out with Babe Winkelmen cohost

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scc3VWEErGo[/youtube]

I'm surprised with all the flack he took about shooting lanes, that he continues to ring ears (right around the 2:30 minute mark).

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Maxxed out with Babe Winkelmen cohost

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:19 am

A few things:

1) Babe is proof we will have Chad Belding with us, in some capacity, for a really, really long time.

2) Maxxed Out appears to be providing a service people pay for~ he's still at it. And there is some sort of naivety/innocence/denial that makes me kind of want to like that guy.... if for anything, he pushes on regardless of rung ears, bad videos, and the camera following a wounded bird that obviously went down and needed to be chased while the Babe's pro-staffer says, "Lucky duck...."

Waterfowling lends itself to a "lifestyle guide". It's a crap load of work, labor intensive, long hours and no barriers of entry~ which allows any wannabe that can reasonably shoot birds and gain access to fields hang out his/her shingle. Maxxed Out gets poked at because Graham puts himself out there.

Funniest part is, every time I hear his voice, I swear it is the same voice I heard behind my group on a MWPA out by Appleton on an opener about 10 years ago. A group came RUNNING through the grass with 10 minutes before opener, decoys bouncing on some dudes back in time with his wadder waddle run. This WPA is quite popular, and LOADED with hunters. The Graham voice guy says, "Somebody's in our spot, we'll set up down here and shoot birds as they come off their decoys....." I don't know if it was him, but that voice, every time I hear it, brings me back to that day.

It was nice though, because that groups dog retrieved a bird that fell behind us in the grass. As I recall, they sky popped at a bird or two. Of course, my memory is we hammered a 3-man multi-species limit... but memories are strange things :lol:

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:17 am

I watched it. Actually, not that bad. Better than some of the hunting shows around.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 am

Babe caled them "Canadian geese" at the 45 sec mark. How does he know that the honkers are from Canada VS locally raised geese?

It's "Canada geese" people....

As for Graham, one has to admire his old school camo and plain tan hat in the duck sequence.

And he seems personable enough too in the video.

Over all a good clip.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 am

Babe's production experience helped Maxxed Out a lot. The Go Pro vids and barrel cams are brutal.

Maybe the last few years of getting knocked "in the community" have given Maxxed a bit more maturity.

I still get the impression he is trying to convince himself "this is the life for me". I don't know the guy's story, I wish him well... if he's providing a service people keep paying for he's doing more than most will ever accomplish in their lifetime.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:37 am

I thought the video was actually pretty good, still think Graham is a little strange............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:27 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Babe caled them "Canadian geese" at the 45 sec mark. How does he know that the honkers are from Canada VS locally raised geese?

Thanks Al, what would we do without you?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 am

Just more proof that the overwhelming majority of waterfowl guides are total d-bags.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Nershi wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:Babe caled them "Canadian geese" at the 45 sec mark. How does he know that the honkers are from Canada VS locally raised geese?

Thanks Al, what would we do without you?

It is also linguistically incorrect to them "Canadas".... so don't be trying to be all tricky with fancy and confusing terms like that bit of "inside baseball"

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Lanyard, it seems Gram is trying real hard, and I give him credit for that. He also seems to have the locations to get birds. He doesn't come across as an a hole like a lot of guides, but I've only ever seen his videos so why would he show that. Still tho, I know he's seen the bashing, so to not be overly conscious about it surprised me. Maybe it was pressure to drop more birds for the camera, who knows, but it still surprised me.

As for grammatically incorrect to call them Canadas, when speaking of north and south America, do you call them the Americas or Americans? If there are two guys named Jamie, are they Jami or Jamies? Our language is weird.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”