Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sunrise through thick fog welcomes young hunters

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am

Article by: DOUG SMITH , Star Tribune
Updated: September 13, 2014 - 6:50 PM

Sunrise through thick fog welcomed participants in an annual event to recruit young duck hunters.

ZIMMERMAN, MINN. – A lone wood duck flew out of thick fog and into the decoys. First-time waterfowl hunter Emily Schmidtbauer aimed and fired her 20-gauge once, shattering the morning silence.

The woodie flew off, unscathed.

“Did I miss by much?’’ she asked.

“Just by a little,’’ said Brian Ross, a veteran waterfowl hunter who on Saturday mentored 12-year-old Emily and her twin brother, Joseph, on Minnesota’s 19th annual Youth Waterfowl Day. The pair were among an estimated 5,000 youngsters 15 and under who climbed into duck blinds around the state with nonhunting adult mentors for the one-day special hunt.

More and photos: http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... 23061.html
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Sunrise through thick fog welcomes young hunters

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Let's live life through others?......
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

soolong
Coot Commander

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 am

Well good to hear there were 4999 others out there bringing in the new generation of hunters. My son ripped through 2 boxes of shells and managed a limit. Lost one Mallard which I made sure we included in the bag limit. I think too many hunters go on shooting after they have lost wounded birds. Trying to make sure I teach him the right way so more generations can enjoy hunting in the future. He made some awesome shots and got a lot of practice. Cheers to all of the adult hunters who took the time to not hunt for themselves and took the time to make a future hunter. Hope you all did well!
I like most things with white cheeks.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 am

The DNR should have people sitting at all the boat landings with dead ducks to give to the kids that get skunked.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Trigger wrote:The DNR should have people sitting at all the boat landings with dead ducks to give to the kids that get skunked.

Nah they should wait until opener. I bet there are far more birds lost per hunter when all the dongs are out the first couple weeks of the regular season. I've seen very little sky bombing and failure to attempt a retrieve on ywd.

Soolong thanks for the solid report in the other thread. It looks like you were a great guide!

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Nershi wrote:
Trigger wrote:The DNR should have people sitting at all the boat landings with dead ducks to give to the kids that get skunked.

Nah they should wait until opener. I bet there are far more birds lost per hunter when all the dongs are out the first couple weeks of the regular season. I've seen very little sky bombing and failure to attempt a retrieve on ywd.

Soolong thanks for the solid report in the other thread. It looks like you were a great guide!

I'm thinking about the kids here. I could care less about anyone else. This is for the future of waterfowl hunting.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Trigger wrote:
Nershi wrote:

I'm thinking about the kids here. I could care less about anyone else. This is for the future of waterfowl hunting.

I'm wondering how sarcasm from an adult will benefit the kids or the future of waterfowl hunting.

soolong
Coot Commander

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks Nershi. Just a Dad trying to create smiles. Hopefully it inspires others to take their sons, daughters or neighborhood kids out. It doesn't have to be youth day to make a kids day. Anytime you can get a kid off of his phone or video game system and outside in nature is a win in my book!
I like most things with white cheeks.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm

soolong wrote: Anytime you can get a kid off of his phone or video game system and outside in nature is a win in my book!

X2.......some kids are really missing out.................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:17 pm

soolong wrote:My son ripped through 2 boxes of shells and managed a limit.

They should institute a one box limit on YWD.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”