Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: good opener

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 am

I also agree that Trigger made a very good point. I sure am not in favor of the long split on the south zone as it is this year.

BTW, I heard possible snow flurries for the Cities Friday night. Accuweather's long term forecast is for a cooler than average Oct. Like I mentioned 2 months ago, welcome to a 45 day open water season for the South zone because of the long split. It is plain stupid with the change that the DNR did this year with the extra week of closed season in Oct. I sure would like to know where they got their feedback from to support the long split.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I sure would like to know where they got their feedback from to support the long split.

The lazy, ignorant, spinner-dependant field hunters that think ducks don't migrate until January.
Dominate The Skies.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I would have loved to hunt the south zone this weekend with the wind and weather on Saturday. The long almost 2 week split is just stupid I think. They need to make a Mallard zone in SE MN like everything east of 52 to Iowa. Marshall, Slaton, Ivanhoe etc will be frozen solid by the second weekend of November probably this year.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Hansen wrote:I would have loved to hunt the south zone this weekend with the wind and weather on Saturday. The long almost 2 week split is just stupid I think. They need to make a Mallard zone in SE MN like everything east of 52 to Iowa. Marshall, Slaton, Ivanhoe etc will be frozen solid by the second weekend of November probably this year.

Last year while we were closed I had some friends from Iowa sending me pictures of limits of redheads and gadwalls. Pizzed me off.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I find it kind of interesting that they put a waterfowl migration chart on page 24 of the waterfowl regs book that shows that most birds migrate in early October-right during your split. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the chart but I am guessing the guys who make the laws do. They must think guys in the south are all mallard snobs.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 pm

seems like most hunters in general are mallard snobs

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I dont mind the split but I hunt the river late.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Nershi wrote:I find it kind of interesting that they put a waterfowl migration chart on page 24 of the waterfowl regs book that shows that most birds migrate in early October-right during your split. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the chart but I am guessing the guys who make the laws do. They must think guys in the south are all mallard snobs.

What don't you agree with on it?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 am

tyler wrote:seems like most hunters in general are mallard snobs

Way I see it, why wait on mallards when there are so many other ducks to kill. Some better tasting even.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:59 am

I'm willing to give the longer split in the south zone a chance. Will it be better or worse?-I have
no idea. Just glad to see the DNR try something different.

One thing I'm sure of-most duck hunters are whiners. Talked to guys last weekend that shot a
limit & were still whining. Must be a special duck hunters gene that requires all this whining :D

BTW I was skunked again this opener as I have been every time I hunted in the past two years.
Did I say that right-Mr. Lee?

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”