Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

MN migration report Oct 2

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:57 am

God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Re: MN migration report Oct 2

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Was 140 miles north of Thunder Bay fishing sept26-oct1. Big migration day Sunday and Monday when we were there. Canadians heading south. Monday was a cool day watching the loons migrate east towards Nipigon.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:32 am

Have been seeing a pretty fair amount of geese flying over work today.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am

checked out a couple sloughs last nite, loaded with redheads................the split hurt us again in southern MN
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 am

9manfan wrote:checked out a couple sloughs last nite, loaded with redheads................the split hurt us again in southern MN

How is everyone liking those splits?

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 am

hobbydog wrote:
9manfan wrote:checked out a couple sloughs last nite, loaded with redheads................the split hurt us again in southern MN

How is everyone liking those splits?

I liked the first split we had a few years back, closed for 5 days during the week (like the central zone has now), this split we have now sucks....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 am

Seemed to be new birds around Sat morning but by Sunday they appeared to be gone. Did well Saturday AM...geese worked great and there was enough wind to lure some mallards into the hay field with the wind powered spinner. Sunday wasn't nearly as good with probably 1/3 the birds as Saturday

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 am

I still like the split. I cant do most of my hunting until november anyway.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 am

^^^^ What would you do if we went to a 30 day season again?

I did a poll about this new split a couple of months back in the S zone forum, The vast majority liked it. I was the vocal one that said that we'd be nuts to want to loose that many open water days and it be like a shortened season.

Now if the S zone was like the SE corner of MN, I'd be ok with that. But with most lakes are shallow in Southern MN and freeze up quickly, the vast majority of the days at the tail end of the season hunters would never benefit from it. It'd be one thing if average freeze up was Dec 1, but usually it is mid Nov.

And according to the DNR this week is the start of "prime" migration in MN. Yet they closed season. It makes no sense.

BTW, it's making ice in the Pas, MB. Mid 20s for lows yeaterday. If this weather trend continues we will have an early freeze up. :evil:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 pm

It was even hard to find open water on the ole miss late last year. Though you just have to search a little harder when it freezes early like last year on the river.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”