Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: MN migration report Oct 2

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Ohhh.... so this is the "little push"?

T-chaser~ You make it sound like every year a lot of things happen on a schedule with the migration... interesting.

Bailey makes the case that it gets cold, then warm, then cold and sometimes ice forms, but that doesn't mean things freeze... and some birds will migrate because not all the birds migrate at the same time, even of the same species... like how last weekend our mixed bag included blue wings and blue bills.

Very confusing. All the stories I read are when the birds all "crash" into the blocks/stool/decs/set-up/spread when everything is freezing and cold and a guy can shoot all morning.

What you describe does not sound anything like the legends.

Perhaps we will be enlightened by one older and wiser..... :lol:

I damn near fell off my chair when the guy on the other site was "blah, blah freezing at The Pas"..... another "Big Push" devotee. You want to time the flight, know where the birds are going to be and hunt there everyday. Saturday we were covered in birds, Sunday the ones that were left suddenly got blind shy. Great hunts both days as we watched my buddy's kid and his friend take a couple 'bills out of flock.

Anyway, carry on. A great MacQuarrie story about this time of year is called "The Little Flight". It's the point when the first movers start showing up and you get a shot at less wary birds. It's not "The Big Flight", but more like the start of the migration...... as it generally gets colder, and the days get shorter, on the same schedule every year!

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 pm

When I say migration in SD I'm not really talking teal and Woodies. I'm talking bills,mallards,gadwalls,snows,etc which don't show up in big numbers yet.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Bailey wrote:When I say migration in SD I'm not really talking teal and Woodies. I'm talking bills,mallards,gadwalls,snows,etc which don't show up in big numbers yet.

By saying gadwall you really mean widgion? Because gaddies are in Iowa already.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Is this fowler guy a meteorologist?

Blah blah blah about cold weather up north.

Forecasting 70 and 80 degree temps in sodak next week. Upper 60s and low 70s in the metro.

Yep The Big Push is happening as week speak. :roll:

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 pm

NitroZ9 Duck Killin wrote:Is this fowler guy a meteorologist?

Blah blah blah about cold weather up north.

Forecasting 70 and 80 degree temps in sodak next week. Upper 60s and low 70s in the metro.

Yep The Big Push is happening as week speak. :roll:

Yeah dude. Two months ago he predicted it would get colder in October and even colder in November. I just wish he knew the power ball numbers. I wouldn't doubt for a second if he predicted the blood moon last night too.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I tend to remember very similar predictions in years past on the other site. Oh well it makes it entertaining which I need because I wont get much hunting in until late October. If only my kids didn't play so many fall sports. JK.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:10 am

I get a kick out of all the migration predictions this time of year. Here are a few fun facts for you guys. There are Bluewings that have probably made their way to Central America by now. There are also Bluewings in the flooded fields in Canada right now, LOTS and LOTS of them. When they finally decide or have to leave I doubt MN will see many of them. Redheads started showing up on the Gulf Coast last week. They were also migrating through our part of the country, I talked to two guys who shot 5 of them on Sunday. :shock: There are also Redheads in Canada still. We shot a three man of bluebills on Sunday. I will be shooting bluebills on that lake until ice up in November. There are Gadwalls south of us but there are also still tons in Canada. I will be in North Dakota in a couple weeks and if we cannot get on the x field I will be shooting gadwalls out of the potholes. Ducks like to migrate in favorable winds but they will migrate in just about any conditions. Some of my best migrator days have been when we have a high cold front covering the northern part of the continent with clear skies and no wind. There is usually little pressure on those days because most guys think you need a low cold front with clouds and NW winds for birds to migrate. Ducks don't always follow the rules we have made for them.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am

Bailey wrote:When I say migration in SD I'm not really talking teal and Woodies. I'm talking bills,mallards,gadwalls,snows,etc which don't show up in big numbers yet.

Sure there aren't big flocks of November mallards yet, but there are always pulses of birds throughout October into and out of SD every fall, including a lot of young mallards which brings very good hunting and a lot less competition for fields. There are 15K ducks on sand lake right now, with less bwt and more mallards and divers than last week. Saw my first flock of swans last night while waiting for the geese to fly out to feed. Geese by the way that were dumping into that roost from the north all day long on Saturday.;)

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:58 am

I get it but sand lake gets 250000 ducks in November. That's when things get fun.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:17 pm

TC, that actually is a very descriptive adjective to what happened last Friday and Sat. A "pulse" of birds.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”