Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Lake Christina

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:31 pm

I would think we should find out if the latest restoration worked at Christina this year. If conditions are as good as they say I would think the ducks would be back.

http://www.ducks.org/media/Minnesota/MN ... meback.pdf

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Lake Christina

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 pm

That pic is from 2013. Due to the wet spring/summer the sago did not geminate as well as 2013.

Additionally, "the ducks being back" is fairly qualitative. There are ducks out there. But don't anticipate you'll bop out and see 300k canvasbacks.

With the lake level up the access is functioning well. The best recommendation I can give is for you to give it a go.

It will take a decade for the lake/management plan to find its groove. The affected watershed includes the pomme de terre all the way to Milan. It will take a bit for the political issues to adjust to water pumping and mother nature will need to lend a hand also.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:12 pm

I don't hunt that lake
I just enjoy the history, etc about it.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:54 pm

The history is super cool.

The thing with Christina is it's "the one" everyone is watching. The same program needs to be done on Heron Lake... and pretty much every other lake like the two of them.

Hopefully the hunters and politicians will give the mechanisms enough time to work before declaring victory or failure. Either prematurely does damage.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:19 am

I agree it needs to be done on Heron but that will never happen. It is controlled by duck clubs and they want higher water so the areas they hunt back in the reeds are huntable. I heard they were not able to hunt the last few years because they were high and dry so needless to say they are not fans of a draw down. With there being no public access on North Heron I doubt you will ever see much of a push to restore that lake since the general public never gets to even be on the lake.

Today's article in the paper on Christina.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... 37301.html

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 am

I enjoyed the star trib article even though it was written by Anderson. It would be fun to
hunt Christina once due to its history & the thousands of dollars in restoration that have been
spent. Have to add that one to the bucket list.

Anyone up for a trip to Christina this fall? Maybe we can get Lanyard to guide us.

Lanyard
Are there any duck guides operating on Lake Christina?

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 am

lanyard wrote:
It will take a decade for the lake/management plan to find its groove.

That's what the experts said a decade ago.
Dominate The Skies.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 am

WALKER wrote:
Anyone up for a trip to Christina this fall? Maybe we can get Lanyard to guide us.

I've never hunted there...i'm in for a trashfest!! Who' got diver decoys? :lol:
Dominate The Skies.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 am

Lets do it!

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:43 am

No guides that I know of. Go north out of the public access. The motorized zone has most of the hunting structure, you'll want a pop-up blind on your boat.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”