Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

South vs SE zone split

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 am

I was looking at a map at what would make sense for a SE zone, vs. the current "South of 212".

Originally was thinking Hwy 52, but that cuts Rochester in half. What about east of Hwy 61, from Hastings to the IA border?

I've never hunted that area, so don't have any concept of what the off river opportunities are, or if it makes more sense to have a North/South line at I-35.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: South vs SE zone split

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 am

I believe that would be a good split, the SW corner of the state doesn't benefit to much from the Dec 6 closing like the SE part of state would, losing the first weekend in Oct of duck hunting in the southern zone hasn't worked out all that great the first 2 years they have had it..........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Madduck
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 am

How about along County lines? Maybe east of 52 in Dakota and Goodhue, but all of Wabasha, Winona and Houston.

Another thought I had was to eliminate hunting on a mid-week day (perhaps Wednesday). That way you could start and end the season on the same dates they are now and not have to be sidelined 11 days in a row.

Drove me nuts seeing all the pics from last weekend by the Central and North guys.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:49 am

They would never eliminate hunting during the week. You would have an outcry from people who don't work those days.

Madduck
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:55 am

BooHoo for them. The Majority of us have to work during the week.

I am sure you are right, just thinking outside the box.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 am

Going of memory, so this could be wrong.... but I believe the feds allow a certain number of start/stops. A weekly mid-week closure is not allowed under the season framework.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:37 am

I would run it down 52 to keep it simple. Splitting Roch in Half is not a big deal, there are some mallards/black ducks down there in December but not mobs of them. The South Zone season runs late enough Roch guys would still get a decent shot at them. SW MN is what gets hurt by this long split. This fall I bet all of SWMN will be frozen by the second week of November or close.

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 pm

The split sucks.
The MN DNR is clueless.

At least we let the birds rest so other states can shoot them.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 pm

I think Hwy 56 would be the best new line for the SE zone. Basically it is between I-35 and hwy 52. Hwy 56 runs close to the "ridge" on where there is lakes/sloughs to the west VS creeks/rivers to the East in SE MN.

I am not sure who suggested last week that we should have a SE zone VS a South zone, but it is a great idea and I am ALL for it.

BTW, I just talked with Brad Nylin, E.D. of MWA, they had suggested last year to the DNR a SE zone VS a South zone as it was laid out a year ago based on member feedback. He also mentioned that he is also hearing a fair amount of grumbling about the current closed season in the South zone. The MWA was taken off guard as to the current framework when it was announced in July, as there was no indication of a coming change from the DNR.

So much for the DNR listening to the hunters on the decision to change the closed season length. What happened to the "hunter feedback" sessions from a few years ago? Why is not the DNR continuing to listen to the hunters this past year?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 pm

A few people have been bitching for years that the season closes too early. [Text Removed by Moderator]

I've never liked splits...and all along the last several years i've said it's a stupid idea.
Have three zones, stagger the openers a week apart. Better hunting for everyone, and no missed opportunities. This shyte ain't hard to figure out. [Text Removed by Moderator]
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”