Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

The many seasons of waterfowl

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am

By Jamie Dietman, Brainerd Dispatch
on Oct 17, 2014 at 7:52 p.m.

Although most people look at waterfowl season as just another season like deer, bear, etc., it is actually a bunch of seasons for many types of hunters. You can split it up into bird types or field or water hunting.

First you have the early season hunters, the guys who like to get out before the weather turns bad. They usually end up filling their limit with teal, wood ducks and a few immature mallards which, in my opinion, are the best table fare you can get in the duck world. This is also a great time of year to introduce new hunters to the sport without the brutal conditions that will follow in the coming month.

Mid season can be a mixed bag of every kind of duck you can imagine. Depending on the weather fronts and how many big north winds we have will determine how many big pushes of northern ducks we get. Some years they come in waves every few weeks and I have also seen the majority of the birds all come through in a week or so. Even when it is slow you can normally scratch out a few mallards, widgeon and ringbills most weeks.

Late season is the time when you see the die-hards, whether they are chasing the big northern greenheads, breaking ice to make a landing zone in some rice bed or backwater marsh. Or the waterfowlers that live to chase the divers, they can include bluebills, redheads, canvasbacks, buffleheads and golden eyes. And every few years, if you get lucky, a stray sea duck from the great lakes. This can be the most dangerous hunting but also the most rewarding. There is something special about setting out long lines of diver decoys and hearing the wings overhead in the dark. It is like a bunch of mini fighter jets buzzing over the top of you. There is one thing about these late season birds, they will humble you. Yes you will have some huge flocks buzz your decoys, you will also have them leave untouched by your BBs. When you factor in sitting in a rocking boat and cold hands while you are shooting at very fast birds flying in a 30 mph north wind, well, you better bring a few extra shells.

Then you have field hunters, mostly seeking mallards and Canada geese. And if you are hunting in the Dakotas and Canada, snow geese and specklebellies and even Cranes and Swans. Unless you have mud to deal with, field hunting is a little easier than water; no dragging a boat through muck and rice. Plus, with the new layout blinds, it's pretty comfortable. And if you do your scouting and get a field where they have been feeding it's a little easier convincing them to come to your decoy spread as they are already used to being there.

And what do all these types of hunting have in common? They are all done by "waterfowlers" a very special breed indeed.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: The many seasons of waterfowl

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Variety is the spice of life, otherwise we would all be still in the missionary position.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Chuck you are old enough like me to remember when 40 years ago it was the ONLY position. EG a 40 day 4 duck season was it. No early or late seasons. No Spring Snow hunting. Boy have things changed...

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 am

h2ofwlr wrote: No early or late seasons. No Spring Snow hunting. Boy have things changed...

Changed a lot IMO. Most of it for the better. Much improved clothing & waders helped a bunch.

When I remember "the good old days" I remember leakin
waders & being wet & cold all day. Crappy steel shot also sucked

The good old days weren't so great in my eyes. We have it mighty good now.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 am

Dammit Walker.... the internet if biatching, complaining, and disgruntlement :-)

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am

Sounds like a law firm name..... Biatching, Complaining & Disgruntled.

And Rick I concur on the clothing being so much better. It used to be cotton or wool for chioces. Also known as cold and itchy. I remember when the Canadian packs were 1st intruduced - oh my what a world of difference in warmth for the feet!

BTW Rick, you've been pretty quiet lately. You must be slaying them big time! How did the hunt with Steve go?

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 am

h2ofwlr wrote:
BTW Rick, you've been pretty quiet lately. You must be slaying them big time! How did the hunt with Steve go?

Never made it up to the Mallard Club to hunt with Mr. Lee. Just couldn't put a group together this
fall. Maybe next year

I've been spending everyday with Elvis as this will be his last fall at 12 1/2 years old. Very hard to
watch a good dog come to the end. Hill I'd rather put the wife down than a good dog, but she'd
probably say the same about me :D

Hunting has been OK with mostly woodies & teal being around. I've maybe shot one or two :lol:
My goal this fall is to give Elvis one last fall doing what he loves. I only hope when I reach that point
healthwise someone will take me to the slough one last time.

How has your fall been Al?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 am

Decent enough hunting wise, better than the past couple of years. But picking my days when I hunt sure does help the averages.
This week with the warm weather I've been working around the house painting, etc, etc and starting to put away stuff for winter. I'm hoping by Sunday that I'll have the to do list around the house/yard mostly done.

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 am

h2ofwlr wrote:This week with the warm weather I've been working around the house painting, etc, etc and starting to put away stuff for winter. I'm hoping by Sunday that I'll have the to do list around the house/yard mostly done.

Ya sure haven't missed much on the duck hunting this past week. Very slow in my area.

Kind of hard to get fired up to do the usual fall prep around the house with temps in the 60s & 70s.

Try to get Buzzie out huntin as this yard work crap can wait-that's my theory anyway :D

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 am

Naw.... I'd rather paint and do yard chores with the warm sunny weather. Maybe later this week I'll go when the temps cool a bit and get a NW wind again.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”