Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Game farm owner sentenced for selling snow goose meat

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Snow geese are such a disgusting creature I can't believe anyone would actually pay for it. I poop up to four times a day if I just had this guys client list and started packaging it I could be making some money.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Fish Felon wrote:The USFWS is trying to play it both ways and it is a joke.

No they are not. You can not sell ANY waterfowl ever, period. No playing both ways--they have1 way--do not sell waterfowl .
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Hope this guy wasn't trying to make bank on selling goose brats. 53 lbs means about half of that was probably pork. I get brats made for $3 a lb...so he had about $160 worth of sales? Seems kind of like a worthless bust.

I think in the case of snow geese it should be fine to sell the birds since their populations aren't very regulated...and its not like there's going to be a huge demand for it.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:27 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:The USFWS is trying to play it both ways and it is a joke.

No they are not. You can not sell ANY waterfowl ever, period. No playing both ways--they have1 way--do not sell waterfowl .

Name another species of waterfowl with no limit?

On one hand they treat them like vermin and want you to kill as many of the pests as possible and have removed limits, allow ecalls, dusking, no plugs...but then on the other hand they want you to separate your geese by hunter, not party hunt, enforce wanton waste laws, etc.

You can't have it both ways...regulating the species after you unregulated and devalued it.

All I can say is at least the guy cleaned them and processed them. You can't say that for a lot snow goose hunters.

JFC, with how they threw the book at him you'd think he was selling Canvasback hotdogs and sausage at a baseball game.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:10 am

Non current, outdated regulations will bite them in the a double s all the time. One of the reasons waterfowl hunters don't trust the USFWS. Fowler we all get it is the law, but when the law is disjointed, it leads to misintent, misinterpretation and confusion. Most of our laws are so far outdated it is pure ignorance to just keep them just because of tradition. There needs to be transparency and fluidity with these laws to be able to adjust them when needed. Instead of wasting taxpayers money on busts like this. Like has been said it is snow geese and I highly doubt it was a highly lucrative deal for the guy.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:00 pm

There needs to be a system, similar to licensed taxidermist's, gun dealers, etc.

I don't think Joe bow Fisher can just start selling carp. And Tommy Trapper can't sell his furs direct.

I wouldn't think selling snow geese to a properly licensed game processor would be difficult.

Although, some of these changes make more sense when we have at least one season some dip shat doesn't shoot swans and says "thought they were snow geese...."

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”