Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Open water and iced over reports.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 am

lanyard wrote:
Waterfowlist wrote:Just trying to show of that spectacular head a little better!

That's a true northern bird, has them "red legs". Only get those with the tail end. Those big northern birds aren't happy unless the temps are dropping as fast as the barometer. A bucket list bird for sure. :D

Very nice stack of golden eyes. Hopefully Nershi is getting on them also. I like seeing them, pretty cool as they are such a tail-end bird.

The red legs have nothing to do with the duck being from the north. It is a hormonal change that the ducks go through this time of year and it causes the legs to look red. There are mallards on the local lake near my house that have been around all fall and now have red legs. I guess since I live in a northern suburbs they are technically northern birds!!!

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:08 pm

JFC!
Dominate The Skies.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:JFC!

Yep!!

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:38 pm

:lol:

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Nice troll lanyard!
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Hook line and sinker haha

tbuc
Coot Commander

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Kind of late getting back to the early freeze up and losing days in early October part of this thread but here goes.

From what you guys are saying there should be no need for 3 zones. Just a southeast zone and the rest of the state. If the rest of the state is always froze before Nov. 25, then it should all be setup like the northern zone was this year. 60 days straight with no split. Have the southeast zone like some have mentioned bordered by Hwy 52 or I-35 with a split to gain an extra week or 2 at the end. Seems pretty simple. Except that the rest of the state is still losing 2 weeks if you are freezing up by Nov. 10 every year. But if you want to extend your season past freeze-up it sounds like there still are opportunities for field hunting those disgusting mallards.

Good to see some guys are still getting out and finding some ducks and mergansers.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:39 pm

tbuc wrote: Except that the rest of the state is still losing 2 weeks if you are freezing up by Nov. 10 every year. But if you want to extend your season past freeze-up it sounds like there still are opportunities for field hunting those disgusting mallards..

Yeah opportunities for the 8 guys who access to fields that are worth the time.
Without the splits you are gaining days when there's ducks around where 99% of the states hunters hunt.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 pm

And yes, my stats used are Fowlertistics, which means they are made up and wildly inaccurate.

Lars30
Coot Commander

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Trigger wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:LOL ^^^ I'm with on that one, even if the limit was 3 a day and had to be drakes.

Is not a resident season in ND 70 days + the high plain season on the MO River for 3 weeks? Lars, I'm not sure what you are talking about choosing 60 days part is about.

You would want to hunt ducks in the spring, it's unethical.

But his idea is pretty obvious, he's using the NODAK non-res license structure in a way. You get a 60 day block to hunt ducks, you get to choose the start date and it would end 60 days after that. That way early season lovers (aka guys who like to shoot lots of ducks) could do it, while the late season guys (aka guys who don't like to shoot lots of ducks) could start later in order to miss the migration but hunt some tail end mallards because they are "pretty".

Exactly, choose your "Block Dates", the season would still be 60 days long. But I guess I wasn't aware that the Feds needed "Hard Dates".
Call em in and take em out

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”