Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Anyone Booking Their Spring Snow Goose Hunt Yet?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Just curious to see how many are planning ahead for next spring.

If you have been using a good guide service, post up.

I still like to "Free Lance" it myself, but I'm also not opposed to using a guide service for a hunt or two. Nothing like experience being a good teacher.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone Booking Their Spring Snow Goose Hunt Yet?

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I never see guides doing anything different than the freelancers. What have they taught you in the past that you use on your freelance trips?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Gander DeBander
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Snow goose guides are a dime a dozen today and not many that really work hard for the client or are any better at putting birds on the ground that the avg free lancer. Basically, if you own a 1000 sillosocks, an e-caller and a couple rotarys you can classify yourself as a guide..... :roll:

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 am

Gander DeBander wrote:Snow goose guides are a dime a dozen today and not many that really work hard for the client or are any better at putting birds on the ground that the avg free lancer. Basically, if you own a 1000 sillosocks, an e-caller and a couple rotarys you can classify yourself as a guide..... :roll:

Gotta pay for all those decoys some how. Plus then they are a "business expense"

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:22 am

Trigger wrote:I never see guides doing anything different than the freelancers. What have they taught you in the past that you use on your freelance trips?

My learned experience from a guide came from Steve Lee of Lone Drake Guide Service. A couple of things come readily to mind;

1. Move your vehicles far away from the spread, further away than with dark geese. If possible, use a shelterbelt or trees to hide them.
2. Hide your blinds like your life depends on it. If in a corn field, use every bit of stubble possible to completely cover the blind...I mean completely.
3. Be patient with an approaching flock. They may circle over the spread several times before they totally commit.
4. Accept that every hunt is not going to be a 100-bird hunt. Have fun and enjoy the day no matter how many birds are killed.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 am

He learned all that from Dennis Hunt's last book.
Dominate The Skies.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:13 am

Bullet21XD wrote:He learned all that from Dennis Hunt's last book.

All good guides have a strict no smoking policy because geese can pick out a lit cigarette from 11 miles away.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38 pm

I've never hunted with a snow goose guide.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I hunted with one once about 8 years ago with my dad and brother. Only interesting thing I saw was they had these homemade poles with a basket on the top and rods that extended out to hold wings and head out. Put birds that we shot in there to look like gliders. Was a good idea I thought

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:50 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I hunted with one once about 8 years ago with my dad and brother. Only interesting thing I saw was they had these homemade poles with a basket on the top and rods that extended out to hold wings and head out. Put birds that we shot in there to look like gliders. Was a good idea I thought

Like dis? http://www.directshootingsupplies.co.uk/calls-decoys/decoys-decoy-accessories?product_id=5239

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”