Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Free Pine Wood Duck Boxes

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Fish Felon wrote: Not trying to be a dick
Oh yes you are.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Fish Felon wrote:How much does a used WDB or other nesting structure go for?

I never thought about selling them, what a great idea! I can go hunting and then grab a couple bird houses on the way out and it'll help pay for my gas and shells.

Depends: is a european pine cavity nesting box or an african cedar nesting box?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 am

$5 a box for pine. $10 a box for cedar. If you can prove it's Fowlers I'd do $20. I don't need his predator guard or posts though, just the box.

Al do you mark your boxes so there is a way we could tell if it is yours?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 pm

yes.

There is sign on the side that says "Thieves shot on sight".

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Got the houses up appreciate it.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 am

You are welcome!

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:33 am

h2ofwlr wrote:yes.

There is sign on the side that says "Thieves shot on sight".

They're public property if you leave them on public land.

Look up the littering law and please tell me how what you are doing isn't littering?

Why does a trapper need to mark their traps when they're something left on public land temporarily yet guys can erect countless WDB's permanently with no regulations?

Why can't a deer hunter nail a few boards together in a tree to make a stand yet you can put up all these structures?

I don't think what you're doing is legal.

Al, you might maintain yours but the reality is that probably four out of five of these things aren't maintained after a few years and are left to be a hanging piece of trash that's an eye sore.

What's going to happen to all of your nesting structures when you're dead and gone?

I'm guessing they'll become litter on public land like most of the rest already are.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:01 am

Fish Felon wrote:Al, you might maintain yours but the reality is that probably four out of five of these things aren't maintained after a few years and are left to be a hanging piece of trash that's an eye sore.

What's going to happen to all of your nesting structures when you're dead and gone?

No argument of the 4 in 5. And that is another reason why I have not for years participated on WDB build days. I loathe the boy scouts doing them and then dump them at some nature ctr expecting others to put up and maintain them. What are they actually teaching these kids? A disposable society? And being there are enough natural cavities - Why build more unmaintained boxes?

Hopefully others will divvy them up and continue on. 2 people have copies of my Excel spread sheet that has the locations, past production, etc just for in case I do die. Currently I am about maxed out time wise with the 175 WDB and MHN. Occasionally I am adopting an abandoned box. And I am doing more consolidating, meaning getting more efficient on the routes, remove poor producers, etc.. For example the 8 out by Waconia I am giving to a guy to maintain that lives out there since he has others in the area.

BTW, why can we do it on water--because on land they can indeed use rules like the deer stands ban. While over water--no so much as they control only to the high water mark. 8-)
Oh and being if you want to use the "they are public property" being they are located on public property argument, then if you take them that is then theft of govt property. Oooops.

Have a nice day gentlemen. :D

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 pm

My gripe is for the guys unlike you h2ofwlr, which is most of the bird house guys. Keep up the good work, glad to hear you have a plan in place for others to take them over eventually.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:While over water--no so much as they control only to the high water mark. 8-)
Oh and being if you want to use the "they are public property" being they are located on public property argument, then if you take them that is then theft of govt property.

So does that mean I can put anything I want into the water below the high water mark? Like a permanent duck blind?

And how do these become government property? Are you working in conjunction with the USFWS? Or DNR? I don't understand that part.

Hey Nershi, I haven't checked them closely yet to see if there is a name on them, but I can get you a bunch that have MWA graffittied onto the sides. Some asshole littered a bunch of them out in Al's neck of the woods in the potholes along Hwy 212.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”