Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Avian X Teal

Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 am

Duck hunting season is 4 months away....

I just happened to see these in an ad.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/avi ... -pack.html

I like their poses... It sure would be nice to use these in early Sept if we only had an early teal season. :roll:

But frankly they would be a good add to an existing spread during the 1st month of the regular season when hunting.

I have not used Avian X, but have heard some very positive things the last couple of years from guys that have. So no personal endorsement of their durability. But I do like their looks.

So what do you guys like about them?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Avian X Teal

Tue May 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Avian X mallards are great: durable, look awesome and you don't need to single slot bag then. I'm sure these would be as durable.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 20, 2015 11:50 am

Those look pretty sweet. They should fool a lot of hunters, but not needed to kill teal in Sept.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu May 21, 2015 8:18 pm

They're good looking decoys, no doubt.

If you currently own any type of duck decoys then you already own teal decoys.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 am

See, but you need an "early spread" so you can get more in a bag. Decoys are a numbers game. 1 doz mallard vs 2 doz teal.

For early season I highly recommend an "Alt J" spread, so it looks like two "Js" back-to-back making a double hook with two landing pockets.

It plays the wind variability often associated with late summer/early fall weather, particularly on shallower bodies of water.

One time, back '88, me and Darnell Thornton (he was a 2nd cousin to Nash Buckingham), used this very patter down on the Olopatagatchee Flats hunting out of the The Bill Collector's place. Back then, there wasn't much for modern conveniences such as roads and cell phones, so we had to walk and "hump" in.

Anyway, this piece of property commonly had more teal early season than any other in the flyway. A combination of duck potato, celery, and some umbrella nut made a virtual duck gumbo. The trick though, because it was such an expanse, was to get those birds within 70 yards. Now remember, this was the tail end of the lead days, and for those that don't know what lead could do... whooooeeee! You never seen ducks drop from the sky. It was like they heard the *bang!* and just give up trying.

Anyway, this expanse was known for for heating up quick on the water and slow against the shore. The tules out in the middle were too thing and short for any sort of blind, so we hunted from shore. But that heating/cooling cycle would cause sort of a multiple vortexesicies with the wind, blowing from the left sometimes, from the right other times, then as the sun rose higher, the rising air in the middle would pull the cool air from the shade, making a perfect wind for the ducks to come into~ 'specially when the got that hunger for the umbrella nut.

Now, if you've ever seen a duck in umbrella nut you know it's like busting down the doors of an opium den... they just don't move much, so as to when they set in for umbrella nut you can walk right up on them. What we'd do is get that first batch to land and get to feeding, then after a bit take careful aim and take one shot per flock so we wouldn't spook all those birds feeding in our decoys. They'd just look up, see there buddy wasn't looking so good, and go back to feeding.

We'd wait until we got 3/4 of our limit, then lay down a couple salvos across the marsh to rake the last of our limit, pick-up and be gone. All in, 'bout a half-hour.

And I'm pretty sure it's all because of the "Alt J" decoy pattern and using lots of small decoys.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 pm

You have way too much time on your hands....

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 23, 2015 10:32 am

.... now that you bring the concept of "too much time", reminds me of a couple other things that once was something that I'd get all fired up about back in my days of shorter britches and missing teeth: accusations of day dreaming and underachievement....

Seems there is a faction in this great nation of ours that can only measure the productive elements of society in a manner consistent with direct labor, regardless of how productive that labor is or isn't. Such that, if applied in on sense, a person that spends a lot of time reading, studying, and then regurgitating what they read or studies, is somehow more productive than anyone that might give similar attention to original thought and creativity.

As such, it took me a good spell to understand that the talents the good Lord has bestowed upon me might be viewed as, at best, Mediocrity, whilst others that use far less insight, cognition and wit are lauded as "productive" for the mere finding and sharing of thoughts and writings of others. While noble and just in it's own effort to educate and make access to information more democratic, those that measure themselves in such trade should, perchance, avoid making valuation of other's granted and applied skills.

*Ahem*, the Preacher knowing more Bible verses does not equal the Preacher being more versed in the Bible, so to speak.

Now I must beg your excuse so I might ply some of brawnier talents to pleasing the Misses desire for a finely manicured and pastoral landscape surrounding the family dwelling.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat May 23, 2015 11:08 am

That last sentence can be said like this; I need to mow the lawn.

I swear to at times that you went a British board school.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 24, 2015 12:26 pm

lanyard wrote:Seems there is a faction in this great nation of ours that can only measure the productive elements of society in a manner consistent with direct labor, regardless of how productive that labor is or isn't. Such that, if applied in on sense, a person that spends a lot of time reading, studying, and then regurgitating what they read or studies, is somehow more productive than anyone that might give similar attention to original thought and creativity.

*Ahem*, the Preacher knowing more Bible verses does not equal the Preacher being more versed in the Bible, so to speak.

So what you're saying is, sometimes, some educated work, is not really work or educated, effective, efficient, useful work, even though it is portrayed and scripted to seem as such?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Let us pray for an early season....Ahmen
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”