Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Is the MN DNR....

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:46 am

I highly doubt DNR employees are too busy to read their own email

Get real

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:24 am

Nershi wrote:Senators and house members read my emails but dnr reps won't eh?

I'd like some names fowler. If what you say is true id like to email these folks. I don't have time to fish on the intranets. Some of us do that in real life.

If you have a do nothing Sen of Rep that may be the case. The Gov,, SOH, Comm chairs, and other leaders are waaaay too busy to read their public email account. I get a stock form letter back from them.

Priorities. So quit bitching if I don't spoon feed you like welfare.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:11 am

Bailey wrote:[quote="Nershi"]So all their excuses for not having a season last year were bs then.

I'm seriously considering hunting nd wi and canada next year and being done with mn.

I only hunt wisconsin and south dakota. The bs minnesota regulations drove me away for good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Please don't come back.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 am

Has anyone heard or read what the top reason or reasons are why we don't have a teal season straight from the horses mouth?

Our waterfowl season use to have an opening day hour reg of noon to 4.

That defined stupid.

Then it was 9-4,

better,

but still stupid.

Now it starts at a 1/2 hour before sunrise, ducks died, but not all of them.

We were allowed 3 woodies a day, yet we denied our state's hunters another opportunity in default safe mode. But then decided 3 was finally doable and "ok".

ANYONE ELSE SEE A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR FROM THE mndnr?

After all the old thought processes went out the window, we still have hunt-able numbers of ducks. Go figure, who would have thunk it? For our chicken little DNR, the sky never fell on all the reg's that were changed. So why still so much angst, hand ringing and fear over a teal season? There's enough room for error in a 3 year trial season in the Fed's minds, that if it is a colossal failure, there's still bird numbers and time to recover from an all out ball dropping, duck apocalypse.

Yet we still choose the route of easy, no risk ignorance, why? I have yet to hear a really solid reason for why?

Sincerely,

Constantly Confused and Clueless with the MNDNR?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 am

I believe the answer is that there is a very vocal portion of MN hunters that do not believe we have huntable numbers of ducks and that "further" liberalization will make the hunting "even worse".

The reality is the vast majority of people who hunt ducks in MN don't know and don't really care that much about a teal season. A few are passionately in favor and a few are vehemently opposed.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:58 am

You're right. The sad part is the guys who are opposed, usually have no idea why, they just think that more hunting is a bad thing for duck populations. Its just sad really. A lot of them use the excuse of ruining opener as well. If you are so concerned with two days of hunting, several weeks after the teal season, you have problems.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 pm

I would also add that MN got its ultra-conservative waterfowl mgmt ideas from research that was conducted in Minnesota. The conservative folks do not believe research from other areas or more recent times.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm

I don't think they could give you a solid reason why. The DNR has moved away from science based management decisions.

I have emailed Cordts about the teal survey and have yet to get a response. Makes me wonder if he is watching this thread. When I googled his name to look up his email this site was the top google hit. I thought that was pretty amusing.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 pm

I emailed him a couple weeks ago about it too. Took him a while to respond, all he said was he was in the flyway meetings and will announce the seasons around August 1.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”