Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Harold Houck
Mergie Marauder

Best Wood Duck Decoy

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:08 am

Who makes the most realistic and durable wood duck decoy?
My wood ducks have just about had all they can take, they are starting to look like coots.
Harold Houck
Midwest Outboard
midwestoutboard@gmail.com
http://www.midwestoutboard.com
651-276-6988

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best Wood Duck Decoy

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:40 am

Avian X or Hardcore appear to have some great coloring and poses. If you are not in a hurry to purchase them, you may want to wait to Game Fair to check them all out. I can't think of another opportunity to see all of the different brands.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:32 am

A few honker decoys work the best. If you really want woodie decoys ghg makes some sweet lookin ones.

reno's ronin
Coot Commander

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am

I have 6 G&H woodies. IMO they are the most durable on the market. paint will still be on these long after im gone. are they the most realistic. no way. BUt they work well for me in the backwaters, bottoms, and flooded timber of the miss. they are kinda pricey but have lasted many years. Ive killed many birds over them.
For realism id say Avian x look awesome. GHG a close second.
good luck. get some.

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:21 pm

I have some ghg ones. Used for 2 seasons so far. Paint still looks like new. Awesome realism. I'd recommend those to anyone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Define "best".

Lightest in weight?
Cheapest for cost?
The decoys don't make sounds when the wind bumps the bodies together like hollow plastic ones do?
Ease of decoy movement to mimic real ducks when there is a light wind?
Longest lasting paint for durability and non fading?
Realistic body/head positions and colors?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Harold Houck
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes ... at least the last 2 for sure.. my question was "most realistic and durable wood duck decoy"
Harold Houck
Midwest Outboard
midwestoutboard@gmail.com
http://www.midwestoutboard.com
651-276-6988

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:56 am

Well G&H for durability. But I think there are other brands for more realism. Now do any of these other brands hold up well? No idea as I have not used them. I would think price point comes into play on taking a chance to buy them. it's one thing to spend $100, another to spend $200.

How about this, be a guinea pig and buy 6 of each of these 4: Avian X, Hardcore, GHG, G&H, but you have to actually use them at least 20 times and handle them all the same by throughing them all into a big decoy bag. And tell us what you think at the end of the season. :mrgreen:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 am

GHG pro grades hold up well. I'm not nice to my decoys and the paint has held up well. The non-progrades aren't very good. My GHG have held up better than my G&H. Your mileage may vary.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Best Wood Duck Decoy

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:12 am

Nershi wrote:GHG pro grades hold up well. I'm not nice to my decoys and the paint has held up well. The non-progrades aren't very good. My GHG have held up better than my G&H. Your mileage may vary.

Absolutely the ghg pro grades. I've had them for... 4 years now? And I bought them off another guy, not new. Still look good paint wise, and they just look amazing to begin with. Ride a little rough in chop (they slap the water), but they shouldn't really be in open water anyways

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”