Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Perch_44
Mergie Marauder

Re: They are still migrating

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 am

h2ofwlr wrote:True, but they do need open water. And there's none around here as its all froze over.

not true at all. plenty of open water around still.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 am

There is no river here Justin like next to where you live. Even Lake Mtka is froze over. So no open water suitable for divers within at least 20 miles from where I live. The most plausible reason for their flying over is one of the larger lakes up north was freezing over the other day and they were boogeying south.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 am

I haven't seen any migrating since middle of last week.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 am

I have seen golden eyes use really small rivers in the winter or use small holes that are open in big rivers. There has to be some rivers or creeks open in the metro fowler. The larger lakes north of you were froze before last weekend so if they were migrating it is probably because a river froze they were using.

Does it matter? No.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 pm

They were fishing Red on Thanksgiving. Maybe holes on Bemidji, Cass, Winnipeg, Low?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:45 pm

lanyard wrote:They were fishing Red on Thanksgiving. Maybe holes on Bemidji, Cass, Winnipeg, Low?

Last weekend none of those lakes in MN were open, or the weekend before for that matter. I can't speak for Winnipeg but I doubt it was open. Most Goldie's that winter here use rivers that never freeze or Lake Superior. They fly over lakes we ice fish in the morning and evening that aren't close to open water. Not every duck flying south is migrating.

There are a lot more Golden Eyes that winter in Duluth now that there are zebra mussels. If you are in town go down to the lift bridge and check them out. There are usually 50 or so sitting right in the channel picking the zebs off the breakwalls. There is usually some lacey backs with them and occasionally mallards waiting to steal a meal.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Saw a dozen geese flying over Benson, MN this afternoon. Flying south. The nearest lake to the north is Lake Minnewaska which reportedly has around 15" of ice on it. Clueless as to where these birds were coming from.
Craigslist Prostaff

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 pm

tola18 wrote:Saw a dozen geese flying over Benson, MN this afternoon. Flying south. The nearest lake to the north is Lake Minnewaska which reportedly has around 15" of ice on it. Clueless as to where these birds were coming from.

Fergus.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”