Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Layout hunting?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Anyone take advantage of the new layout hunting? I think I'm going to add it for next year, not crazy about eating divers, not sure why..but I like killing birds.

So has anyone done it?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Layout hunting?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 pm

I have been doing it for around 7 years and am glad it happened because for the first time I can hunt my home state It is fun maybe you can tag along too cut your teeth.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 pm

It is a blast. Absolute blast.

Sent from a phancy fone

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:33 pm

So do you get in the layout boat from the tender or does the tender tow the layout boat around with you in it?
If you anchor the layout, how do you keep from diving into the big waves?

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm

some layout boats are towable but most need to be put up in the tender boat, but yes you board the layout from the tender. To keep the water out of the boat you put up the spray skirt, diff boats handle waves diff. I have hunted out of my MLB classic in 3 ft waves and gotten very wet. The hardest part is getting out infront of birds while you are rolling in the waves.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:14 am

Is it difficult to get in and out of the layout boat from the tender without swamping? Can you paddle the layout boat around? Who picks up the ducks? Can you legally communicate with the tender boat over phone or walkie talkie?

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 am

When I did it, I was just in a Carsten kayak for a layout so getting in and out was easy. No worries about swamping it as they are fairly stable so I have to imagine that the big UFO looking ones are even more stable.

The tender boat tends to the shooters, so they get the birds.

Sent from a phancy fone

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 am

Thats only problem with this style of hunting is 1 guy gets all the shooting and those in the tender watch.

It is very easy to get in and out of, that said as long as you balance your self on your shins. We use original MLB's I have a classic and a Mag. other buddy has 2 UFO' and my brother a MLB classic.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”