Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

If you ever wanted to hunt Canada, now it the time

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:46 pm

The CAN dollar is at an 11 year low. You can get 131 CAN Dollars for each 100USD. it makes it on par for expenses like if you were hunting ND. Their gas is a LOT more than here.

Just remember that you need a US passport to get back into the US. A rush (you pay extra) passport takes 6-8 weeks.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: If you ever wanted to hunt Canada, now it the time

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:16 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Just remember that you need a US passport to get back into the US.

Not true. You don't need one to get in to canada either.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: If you ever wanted to hunt Canada, now it the time

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Nershi wrote:
Not true. You don't need one to get in to canada either.

I was on the passport website yesterday and it said on there a passport or passport card is required for re-entry into the US from Canada.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 pm

From my understanding you need a passport to get back into the USA, it does not matter if MX or CAN, that's what is needed.

Perhaps the guys that have gone to CAN fishing this year will share what is required based upon their experiences.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:31 am

Two years ago I went with a copy of my birth certificate and an id. I just talked to a buddy who did the same thing this past June. Neither of us were even questioned on it at either customs check. They prefer a passport but it's not required.

I called the canada and the US customs to check before I went. The US customs said it's their job to make sure they get US citizens back to the country. The lady said even if I lost all my identification on my trip they'd get me in but it would take awhile at the crossing. They aren't going to leave you stranded in canada. Get a passport if you have time but if not call the customs office and ask about a birth cert and an id.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 am

Well I wonder if the alert status went to "Orange" how easy it would be to get into the US with only a birth certificate and DL?

As TC said already a Passport or pass card is needed, and I think to get a pass card, don't you need a passport too? It was my impression that a pass card was for those frequently crossing the border, for like a guy living in Intl Falls that does business in Canada too.

Getting into Canada you do NOT need a passport, just a photo ID. The passport requirement is the US Govt requirement to get back into the US.

And on a related note, if heading for Canada, get the "yellow card" it is Canada's version of proof of vehicle ins. They (some Canadian cops) figured out how to get money from US people, and not having that card they can charge you with driving without ins. and you face a big fine to add to the their coffers. And to be fair - there are some US ins COs that do NOT cover you while you are in Canada (most do though). Anyway, the card proves that you have ins. and you'll be glad that you have it especially if you happen to have an accident.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 am

I am sure whatever the color of the alert status you would get back in to the US. Fact is US Customs are not going to leave a US citizen stranded in another country. That came straight from the boarder crossing agent.

You don't need a yellow card either. Most insurance companies don't even produce them anymore. Once standardized proof of insurance cards were adopted it was no longer required.

When was the last time you went to Canada Al?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 am

Why would any one want the hassles of being detained at the border? Yeah, sure maybe you would be released after how may hours and questioning. But why go through that? Plain stupid IMHO.

The yellow card was the Canadian standardization

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:35 am

Like I said, get a passport if you have time. If not call the customs where you will be crossing and make sure an ID and copy of your birth cert will still work. I have done it twice and I know several other people who have as recent as two months ago and none of us have ever been hassled or even questioned about it. Just pointing out that you do not NEED one as you mentioned in your first post. I am sure the US govt is happy making people believe they have to have one and forcing them to pay out the ars to get an expedited passport.

You do not need a yellow card. I work in insurance.

Do you seriously plan your hunting trips based on the cost of gas and currency exchanges?

I'm heading to Canada Saturday. Can't wait!

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 am

Seriously Al, where are you getting all of this apparent "first hand" information from?

Carry appropriate identification

Except for citizens of the United States, all travellers entering Canada are required to have a valid passport and/or travel document. Visitors from some countries will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). To find out if you need a visa, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Web site.

Citizens of the United States should carry proof of their citizenship. A passport is ideal, however, a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, or naturalization certificate, when presented with valid photo identification such as a drivers licence will also be accepted. Permanent residents of the U.S. should bring their green card.

Plan your trip, bring a passport or birth certificate and don't look for any trouble at the border. They'll let you in and back no problem. I've done it both ways and it's never been an issue. Passport surely makes it a little more efficient, as they seem to like when a traveler exhibits responsibility by being properly prepared.

Show up in your pinto with nothing but a drivers license, it's probably an entirely different story.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”