Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
mnfowl
Site Admin

Minnesota Waterfowl Migration and Hunting Report Sept. 24, 2015

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:57 pm

The following report is a compilation of state and federal wildlife manager reports and waterfowl surveys from across Minnesota. This is the first report for 2015.

Reports will be compiled weekly throughout the hunting season and should be available by Thursday afternoon each week. The Conservation Officer Report, available on the DNR web site, also contains information about waterfowl hunter success across the state.

General: 24 September 2015

Duck hunters should have a good opening weekend across the state based on reports from state and federal wildlife managers. Blue-winged teal, wood ducks, and mallards should dominate hunters’ bags in most areas; ring-necked ducks and green-winged teal should also be fairly common in many areas.

The number of breeding ducks in Minnesota this spring was similar to last year and slightly below the long-term average. The number of breeding ducks based on continental surveys was very high for most duck species and well above the long-term average. Waterfowl production (number of young hatched) was expected to be good in Minnesota and elsewhere with favorable wetland conditions reported from most areas this summer.

Water levels are near average across most of the state for this time of the year. Wild rice production was very good this year and should provide good waterfowl foraging habitat this fall.

The number of breeding Canada geese in the state remains high but similar to last year. Canada goose numbers have increased in many areas since early September as more molt migrant geese have returned to the state. Goose hunting success during the August and September seasons was fair. Goose hunter numbers during the early season this year were 27,100 based on goose permit sales, which was the lowest number on record.

Temperatures are expected to be above average on opening weekend with highs in the mid 70s in most of the state with south winds and no precipitation.

The following is a summary of pre-season waterfowl habitat and hunting conditions from various reporting stations across the state.
[attached PDF]
Attachments
Sept 24 2015 MN WF Mig Report.pdf
(252.61 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Minnesota Waterfowl Migration and Hunting Report Sept. 24, 2015

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Should be a slaughter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Thousands and thousands of coot in my area. Never seen this many this early.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Been seeing a lot of teal in my area, at least twice as many as years prior.

Still not motivated enough to get out of bed that early this weekend. I'll wait for the reports and pictures, someone else can take my limit of woodies!

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:17 am

Saw a decent amount of geese flying Tuesday morning. In a wedding tomorrow but will still try to sneak out for a little while I hope.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 am

Has anyone noticed the duck counts to be exaggerated? I know the Rice Lake NWR counts are higher than actual.

I scouted quite a bit last weekend in a pretty large area and didn't find anything worth hunting. Hopefully I'll find something this afternoon. If not, it looks like some good weather to drink beer and work on my tan in the marsh.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:31 am

I admit I haven't scouted a lot, but checked 7 ponds in the last two days that usually hold ducks. Only one pond had any, and it was only a handful. For the first time ever we don't have anything good to hunt tomorrow.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:40 am

deet wrote:I admit I haven't scouted a lot, but checked 7 ponds in the last two days that usually hold ducks. Only one pond had any, and it was only a handful. For the first time ever we don't have anything good to hunt tomorrow.

same here, scouted the area we usually hunt and the bird count is terrible, but I have found some areas that are holding ducks.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:59 am

Taking the GF to the pond, I never put much effort in for opener. I'm sure we'll slam out 6 woodies and be done like last year. Just a good easy spot for her to get out to and shoot from. I jumped a dozen out of it when I went out to camo the blind and bail out the boat. Saw a couple other flocks of woodies going back to public land at sunset. Limits of wood ducks is usually about all there is then done. If theres any teal around that could make it a little better...haven't seen many though. Mallards have been dropping in numbers since 1st weekend of Sept goose

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Minnesota Waterfowl Migration and Hunting Report Sept. 24, 2015

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:16 pm

shnelson wrote:Been seeing a lot of teal in my area, at least twice as many as years prior.

Still not motivated enough to get out of bed that early this weekend. I'll wait for the reports and pictures, someone else can take my limit of woodies!

I am with you man. Opening day is a circus I prefer to avoid. I will get after it in a few weeks

gimpfinger wrote:Thousands and thousands of coot in my area. Never seen this many this early.

Team Power Dump

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”