Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Muskrat
I came here for the barrel sticker

Duck calling differences

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 pm

I popped in a few duck hunting dvd's tonight. I noticed the guys hunting timber in Arkansas just hammer the feeding call. The guys who were hunting in the midwest use a little bit of everything.

Is there a specific reason for that much feeding call or is it the style of calling?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Duck calling differences

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Calls are the equivalent of extenze

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 am

From what I understand is that the ducks routinely feed in the timbers, so a feeding call seems appropriate.

Up here, we try to get the ducks doing everything else, including feeding. Simple answer from a non-expert caller.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:43 pm

when I've hunted the timber it's really been about volume more than anything. Feeding chatter is simply quieter and until RNT recently came out with timber specific calls, there was no real good way to not blow their ears off with hail calls in the timber. Other companies had tried prior but with not much success IMO. RNT really seems to have nailed it with their new line up and I see a ton of timber purists using them now... Including myself.

It also mimics what love ducks do in the timber.... For whatever reason 1000 ducks will make less noise in the timber than 100 on the prairie... Until you get close to them, then you'll notice they're chattering away.

Just my take but since I've started hunting FLooded timber I've lost all motivation to shoot ducks anywhere else

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:35 am

Loud calls are what most duck killers use. Chatter...feed chuckle...whatever you want to call it, is mostly useless. Pretty much something for guys that don't know when to stop calling.
Dominate The Skies.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:25 am

I run 8 spinners and leave the calls home.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 am

I set up in the right spot so I don't have to wear a necklace.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:41 pm

cstemig wrote:From what I understand is that the ducks routinely feed in the timbers, so a feeding call seems appropriate.

Mallards, in my experience, don't come to the woods to eat. They come to loaf and fornicate. From what i've heard, they also use the timber for grit...consuming stem from oak litter as there is hardly any rock/sand in that area. I can't confirm or deny that but it makes sense, and you can find areas where leaves have been crushed and broken, generally in shallow and newly flooded ground. Wood ducks on the other hand feed on acorns, but i've yet to kill a Mallard carrying one, but that's not to say they never do.

All the chattering they do in the timber, is drakes chasing hens.
Dominate The Skies.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 pm

A lot of guys plant food plots in flooded timber so they may be going to feed in that case. Not saying they are doing the feeding chuckle, just sayin.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Duck calling differences

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:17 pm

Nershi wrote:A lot of guys plant food plots in flooded timber so they may be going to feed in that case. Not saying they are doing the feeding chuckle, just sayin.

It's the sound they make when doing the truffle shuffle.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”