Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Oooooooh, trick question!

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:28 pm

randywatson wrote:So should I hunt today during the NW winds or tomorrow following the NW winds in the South zone?

You should definitely have been out Monday in the south zone.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:01 pm

It's too windy to hunt today with such a wind if in the open areas. I've seen it where Mallards could not ever get the decoys the wind was so strong. Not to mention the safety issue with 45MPH gusts.

I would imagine that the Ringbills, Gaddy's and Widgeon will be down at peak numbers now.

I heard Tundra Swans migrating 10 minutes ago, the 1st for this fall.

randywatson wrote:So should I hunt today during the NW winds or tomorrow following the NW winds in the South zone?

Go right on ahead, just don't squeal like a baby when the Mr Green Jeans nabs you. :lol:

it's simply F-ing ridiculous that the South zone is closed for 10 days. :evil:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I heard Tundra Swans migrating 10 minutes ago,

End of the migration already? Damn I missed it.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:It's too windy to hunt today with such a wind if in the open areas. I've seen it where Mallards could not ever get the decoys the wind was so strong. Not to mention the safety issue with 45MPH gusts.

Al, I get where you're coming from on the safety issue, but this is precisely the wind to be hunting, open areas or not.

A person that kills birds has a spot for this type of day and knows how to use it. Chuckleheads are losing decoys and swamping boats.

Rather than say it's too windy to hunt today, just say "be smart and safe with this wind".

I just got an e mail from a friend in Douglas county that had his best hunt in a decade. Amazingly it is an open area and he didn't die.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:It's too windy to hunt today with such a wind if in the open areas. I've seen it where Mallards could not ever get the decoys the wind was so strong. Not to mention the safety issue with 45MPH gusts.

I would imagine that the Ringbills, Gaddy's and Widgeon will be down at peak numbers now.

I heard Tundra Swans migrating 10 minutes ago, the 1st for this fall.

[quote="randywatson"]So should I hunt today during the NW winds or tomorrow following the NW winds in the South zone?

Go right on ahead, just don't squeal like a baby when the Mr Green Jeans nabs you. :lol:

it's simply F-ing ridiculous that the South zone is closed for 10 days. :evil:[/quote]
Most birds I've ever seen on one outing was during a day with winds like this.

Only a safety issue if you're stupid in winds like this.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm

lanyard wrote:

Al, I get where you're coming from on the safety issue, but this is precisely the wind to be hunting, open areas or not.

A person that kills birds has a spot for this type of day and knows how to use it. Chuckleheads are losing decoys and swamping boats.

Rather than say it's too windy to hunt today, just say "be smart and safe with this wind".

I just got an e mail from a friend in Douglas county that had his best hunt in a decade. Amazingly it is an open area and he didn't die.

Funny you say that. We shot a very easy limit today and watched 2 guys almost swamp their boats. Why anyone would go out in this with a 12 ft v bottom and a 6hp is beyond me. I had a 16 ft and was a little worried but we had a short drive and stayed close to shore, they on the other hand tried to cross the main lake and hunt a point.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

emptymag wrote:
lanyard wrote:

Funny you say that. We shot a very easy limit today and watched 2 guys almost swamp their boats. Why anyone would go out in this with a 12 ft v bottom and a 6hp is beyond me. I had a 16 ft and was a little worried but we had a short drive and stayed close to shore, they on the other hand tried to cross the main lake and hunt a point.

It happens every year. It's the same crowd that confuses swans for snow geese, believes in the "big push", and thinks danger is romantic. As whipper snapper I was in the bow of a boat that swamped because we hadn't distributed the weight properly... a 12' aluminum duck boat with a 9.9. Bow got into the first wave and after that it just kept coming. Major lesson learned.

Dennis Anderson will write an article Wednesday trying to emulate the Armistice Day Storm because some guy with a phone in his pocket doesn't know how to use his weather app.....

Walked out to the bus stop with my son and first thing I asked him was, "why aren't we duck hunting today...."

Saw your pics. Nice shoot~ I think you guys raised the MN avg bird per hunter today!

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:50 am

I like to hunt really big water in these big NW winds. You just have to have the right boat and the right plan. I'm jealous of the guys that can hunt this week. I have too many vacation days this month to sneak out of work for a morning shoot.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 am

I wanted to go yesterday afternoon but couldn't convince anybody. We have a little pond that is pretty protected and it can be pretty good on days like yesterday

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”