Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:38 pm

gimpfinger wrote:[quote="Bailey"]Canada freezing over solid and us not. It seems the birds now stay in Canada well into November if they can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Not so, birds are coming through all season.

Team Power Dump[/quote]
I'm not saying that they are not but Canada is holding alot of birds much longer than they used to. Guys are going up and having bang up hunts in early November. That was not the case 20 years ago. Heck snow geese used to stage in North Dakota in mid October. Not anymore as they stay in Canada until they are frozen out. Other species like divers are probably different.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:23 am

The total Canada freeze gives us a day, maybe. MN is a fly over state for waterfowl flying south like it is for people in the rest of the country flying east/west.

For all the "breeder" state nonsense and protecting our local birds the reason more local birds are shot is because that is when the most hunters are out.

Between next week and the first week in Nov more ducks will pass through MN than the state population and cool clear nights are your worst enemy, unless you're at that flight's end point. If the birds stayed for more than a piss break, i'd be on board with frozen Canada.

My favorite weather depends on the spot. Generally a NW wind with a dropping barometer.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:43 am

Only witnessed one migration day out hunting a few years ago. Started out hunting in my tshirt then by noon there was a cold NW wind blowing hard with snow and sleet. Once the weather changed birds were migrating all day long flock after flock.

Perch_44
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:25 am

Bailey wrote:Canada freezing over solid and us not. It seems the birds now stay in Canada well into November if they can.

Follow the FWS refuge bird counts. Migration is 90 percent done by mid November

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:39 am

Waterfowlist wrote:Only witnessed one migration day out hunting a few years ago. Started out hunting in my tshirt then by noon there was a cold NW wind blowing hard with snow and sleet. Once the weather changed birds were migrating all day long flock after flock.

What year was this? 1940?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

My perfect weather is basically whatever it happens to be between October 10-25
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

Perch_44 wrote:[quote="Bailey"]Canada freezing over solid and us not. It seems the birds now stay in Canada well into November if they can.

Follow the FWS refuge bird counts. Migration is 90 percent done by mid November

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quote]
But all the birds aren't here till after the season closes.....

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:19 am

Trigger wrote:[quote="Waterfowlist"]Only witnessed one migration day out hunting a few years ago. Started out hunting in my tshirt then by noon there was a cold NW wind blowing hard with snow and sleet. Once the weather changed birds were migrating all day long flock after flock.

What year was this? 1940?[/quote]
Idk exactly maybe 2011

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Clear calm night with temps getting down to single digits to low teens up in canada locking up the small water. Doesn't matter what the weather is like here.

I've had good migrator shoots in your classic nasty conditions with nw winds but I've also had a lot of busts in those conditions.

Bailey, Snows are waiting longer but not until freeze up. A lot of the mallards do wait until freeze up tho.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:42 pm

NW wind spitting snow...cold enough to freeze water but wind keeps it open.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”