Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:45 am

Another favorite set of conditions is when mild cold fronts in Canada and ND push down some of the younger mallards into SD. We get a couple of pulses of mallards in October like this and it really helps keep the birds fresh. Otherwise, the mallard hunting can get stale by mid October since everybody and their mother is already trying to field hunt the local mallards.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 am

If I was not working, this Thursday would be a good day to hunt with the wind shift of a NW 15 wind. 2 days of calm winds and then a fair amount of wind--the ducks fly on the own, and maybe even a few migrators would appear.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 am

h2ofwlr wrote:If I was not working, this Thursday would be a good day to hunt with the wind shift of a NW 15 wind. 2 days of calm winds and then a fair amount of wind--the ducks fly on the own, and maybe even a few migrators would appear.

South zone..

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Cans and reds are moving..... concentrations of geese on the rivers from Monticello up to Warroad. Cacklers are moving in.

Shot a woodrow about 25 miles south of Warroad and still a few teal up that way. Sorry GWH3~ I think you're going to have to find the 212 line to take advantage ;-)

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Hopefully something moves down in my area. Haven't even found enough birds to be worth hunting. From the reports I've heard it seems like the western half of the state is holding most of the birds this year. Not sure if that is due to the prevailing east winds we've had from the hurricane or the habitat conditions. Sounds like Manitoba is really slow compared to sask as well so maybe the entire flight pattern shifted a little west this year? I'm ready to kill some bluebills but my diver lake was holding a wooping 3 divers when I scouted it last weekend!

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Noticed a few birds on the move today

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:49 am

tornadochaser wrote:Another favorite set of conditions is when mild cold fronts in Canada and ND push down some of the younger mallards into SD. We get a couple of pulses of mallards in October like this and it really helps keep the birds fresh. Otherwise, the mallard hunting can get stale by mid October since everybody and their mother is already trying to field hunt the local mallards.

Purely out of curiosity, but as a sodak resident, why are you on mnfowl? Are you from here? I like your posts so I'm not trying to be a dick.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:50 am

Waterfowlist wrote:Noticed a few birds on the move today

I didn't see any. But I could feel them. I have the next ten days off, so they better flucking be moving.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 am

Trigger wrote:Purely out of curiosity, but as a sodak resident, why are you on mnfowl? Are you from here? I like your posts so I'm not trying to be a dick.

Yeah i'm from MN. Still hunt in MN a handful of days each fall.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 pm

So should I hunt today during the NW winds or tomorrow following the NW winds in the South zone?
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”