Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:45 pm

lanyard wrote: Rather than say it's too windy to hunt today, just say "be smart and safe with this wind".

Point well taken.

I'm still ticked that the south zone is closed. :twisted:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Your perfect migration weather conditions

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:17 pm

lanyard wrote:[quote="h2ofwlr"]It's too windy to hunt today with such a wind if in the open areas. I've seen it where Mallards could not ever get the decoys the wind was so strong. Not to mention the safety issue with 45MPH gusts.

Al, I get where you're coming from on the safety issue, but this is precisely the wind to be hunting, open areas or not.

A person that kills birds has a spot for this type of day and knows how to use it. Chuckleheads are losing decoys and swamping boats.

Rather than say it's too windy to hunt today, just say "be smart and safe with this wind".

I just got an e mail from a friend in Douglas county that had his best hunt in a decade. Amazingly it is an open area and he didn't die.[/quote]
Best hunt in a decade? I guess i missed the big push while at work. I suppose i wont even get the hunting stuff out this year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I thought the big push was a myth but it appears we just had it. The articles dennis anderson will write about yesterday will be legendary.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Bailey wrote:I thought the big push was a myth but it appears we just had it. The articles dennis anderson will write about yesterday will be legendary.

Only a myth to those that haven't seen it.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 pm

The Big Push exists, but it's been stuck on the Island of Misfit Hunter Beliefs along with: shooting 3 1/2" means I get more ducks, Early Teal in MN will ruin duck hunting, and Liberalized Seasons Not Habitat are why Hunter success declined from 2008-13.

At some point the hope is a bunch of outcasts with a hot chick show up and liberate the Island. Then Santa Clause writes an article in the STrib telling them about his successful opening day because the misfits changed his mind and opened his heart to new possibilities.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

lanyard wrote:The Big Push exists, but it's been stuck on the Island of Misfit Hunter Beliefs along with: shooting 3 1/2" means I get more ducks, Early Teal in MN will ruin duck hunting, and Liberalized Seasons Not Habitat are why Hunter success declined from 2008-13.

At some point the hope is a bunch of outcasts with a hot chick show up and liberate the Island. Then Santa Clause writes an article in the STrib telling them about his successful opening day because the misfits changed his mind and opened his heart to new possibilities.

Well I seen it once. Probably never see it again. Sw Mn, wouldn't be afraid to say I seen 100,000 birds in two hours.

And this is no a bullchit story. Swear on my sons life it's true.

Team Power Dump

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
lanyard wrote:The Big Push exists, but it's been stuck on the Island of Misfit Hunter Beliefs along with: shooting 3 1/2" means I get more ducks, Early Teal in MN will ruin duck hunting, and Liberalized Seasons Not Habitat are why Hunter success declined from 2008-13.

Well I seen it once. Probably never see it again. Sw Mn, wouldn't be afraid to say I seen 100,000 birds in two hours.

And this is no a bullchit story. Swear on my sons life it's true.

Team Power Dump

I don't doubt there's days where mass birds push through, 100,000+ I don't doubt at all, and I don't doubt you.

I just get skeptical when people talk about the "Big Push" which is generally some specific mass of birds that have been timing their migration to some mystical moon/tide/wind/freeze/snow cover formula. In the last two weeks we've had 1,000,000 birds here and gone.... and by the time most everyone starts looking for the "Big Push" it's the statistical tail end of the flight in MN.

If I had to say what weekend I consistently see the most birds in MN: Pheasant Opener.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:28 pm

And yet we were closed on pheasant opener in the south.

When I seen this event it was a quick hard freeze happening around deer opener and it froze from Canada to Iowa pretty much overnight.

Team Power Dump

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:39 pm

gimpfinger wrote:And yet we were closed on pheasant opener in the south.

When I seen this event it was a quick hard freeze happening around deer opener and it froze from Canada to Iowa pretty much overnight.

Team Power Dump

Yeah, like last year. Friday before deer hunting at Warroad we had 30's and light snow. Satruday was beautiful overcast, by evening could feel the chill coming... woke up to -5 on Sunday. That bit big granny panties. Not a track after that cold settled in.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:14 am

I'd say this looks about perfect:
Attachments
temp.jpg
wind.jpg

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”