Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

If I was a betting man (which I am) Coming soon to MN too in the near future

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 am

Federal court allows Wisconsin Chippewa tribes to shine deer at night starting Nov. 1
By Dean Bortz, MN Outdoor News
October 14, 2015

Tribal members from the state’s six Chippewa tribes in northern Wisconsin may begin on Nov. 1 shining and shooting deer at night on publicly-accessable lands in the ceded territory, according to an Oct. 13 federal court decision.

The season will run through Jan. 4, 2016, the first Monday in January, as allowed by the court. The tribal off-reservation night deer hunt will shut down during the nine-day gun deer season.

The ruling came from U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb after the Federal 7th Circuit Court of Chicago remanded the case to Crabb for implentation of the season in question.

“The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources remains disappointed with the Federal 7th Circuit Court’s decision to allow tribal night hunting despite the concerns raised over public safety,” the DNR said in a press statement.

In earlier discussions about this season, the DNR said that “publically accessible” lands includes private land enrolled in the Managed Forest Law (MFL) program if those lands are enrolled in the MFL “open” program.

Tribal members who wish to participate in the hunt are expected to pass a shooting test and file a hunting plan that includes a description of how and where the shooting will be done. They must also use a spotlight and shoot into a backstop.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: If I was a betting man (which I am) Coming soon to MN too in the near future

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:08 am

Unreal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: If I was a betting man (which I am) Coming soon to MN too in the near future

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 pm

"Better not shoot that one I can't determine if that is a suitable backstop" - said no one ever that hunts deer with a spotlight

deet
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Pretty sure it's already legal for at least one of our reservations. Witnessed it happen enough to think it must be legal, or at least tolerated.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Nothing bad can come from this.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 am

Hard to believe anything bad would happen with a couple bottles of Old Crow, spot light and rifle, sounds safe to me......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:21 am

Sounds like north or south Dakota deer hunting

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 pm

You know, there's no better game I like in the dark than "guess if there is an adequate backstop in the dark"

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”