Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

SK and ducks

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:35 am

I have an older friend that his group just returned from hunting in SK. It's the most ducks that he has ever seen. An old timer in the group has hunted up there for 60 years now - and he said it was the most ducks that he has ever witnessed up there. DU said the nesting rate was phenomenal this year. And being what they saw, they have to agree.

Now whether any of those ducks get into MN yet this fall has yet to be seen, but it sure would be sweet if they did.

Good hunting everyone.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: SK and ducks

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:39 am

They are already here

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 am

I was supposed to be up there this week. The trip got postponed a week due to family health issues and it is looking like it might need to be cancelled all together. I talked with a contact near where we were supposed to be and it is loaded with ducks and darks. They showed up much later than usual due to the warm fall but they are in full force now.

There is plenty of food in Sask this year and those ducks are going to stay until they are forced to leave. If we get a big freeze like we did last fall it is going to be a flyover year for MN and ND again.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 am

So fowler does this mean that these are the good ole days or are you still in denial about that?
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 pm

I never was in denial of it.
I have repeatedly mentioned that many of the younger guys just do not realize the opportunities that we all have now compared to say 40 years when we had a 40 day season and at times a 4 ducks a day limit. ( and the 100+ day goose hunting season which never was back then).
How many consecutive years is it now that we've had a liberal season?
And I used to strongly question the Adaptive VS Compensatory way of gauging the what is available to shoot that the USFWS was using. I said this earlier this year, it just is apparent that the new formula does indeed work based upon the sustained high waterfowl counts. 'nuff said.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: SK and ducks

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Nershi wrote:I was supposed to be up there this week. The trip got postponed a week due to family health issues and it is looking like it might need to be cancelled all together. I talked with a contact near where we were supposed to be and it is loaded with ducks and darks. They showed up much later than usual due to the warm fall but they are in full force now.

There is plenty of food in Sask this year and those ducks are going to stay until they are forced to leave. If we get a big freeze like we did last fall it is going to be a flyover year for MN and ND again.

The ducks won't be leaving Canada until it freezes out. It will probably be a one or two day shoot here. Just got back from so dak. Had to shoot all grey ducks. No mallards or Bluebills at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SK and ducks

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Bailey wrote:. Just got back from so dak. Had to shoot all grey ducks. No mallards or Bluebills at all.

Bailey, did you run into much pressure out here in SD? I put my step dad and his group on some mallards last weekend and they got 3 field shoots out of that roost before those birds moved on. They found some new feeds yesterday, haven't heard how they did today. He did say hotel was only 30% waterfowlers compared to last year it was booked full.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 am

Headed to SD tonight, had a friend scouting Monday and said very little feeds in a traditional mallard rich area. Snowing in parts of ND now, Friday a big NW wind in Canada should push down birds. I'm looking at next weekend to be money in ND and SD.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Working in a T shirt today as it's 62. I think you are spot on that there should be a migration as Southern SK and MB it is snowing as well as DL ND. 45 for high here on Friday. Rebounding to high 50s by Mon.

Good luck to all those that are heading out hunting whether it be waterfowl or deer,

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SK and ducks

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

tornadochaser wrote:[quote="Bailey"]. Just got back from so dak. Had to shoot all grey ducks. No mallards or Bluebills at all.

Bailey, did you run into much pressure out here in SD? I put my step dad and his group on some mallards last weekend and they got 3 field shoots out of that roost before those birds moved on. They found some new feeds yesterday, haven't heard how they did today. He did say hotel was only 30% waterfowlers compared to last year it was booked full.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Heard some shooting Saturday and Sunday. Did not here hardly any Mon and Tuesday. Never saw any other hunters. The local motel looked to only have one hunting group. Wish a could of pushed the trip back a week but with kids its not an option. Last year we froze out on 11/10 so we went a week earlier this year. I was not talking any chances.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”