Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Open water hunting on lake Pepin?

Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Has anybody tried this? I have been think of trying this but was wondering is theres a lot of people doing this? I would be hunting out of a 1648 jon boat with a fully covered blind and using divers on long lines. I'm just looking for some genral info. Thanks for your input

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Open water hunting on lake Pepin?

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm

I usedto drive by Pepin alot and it was usually full of mergansers. Very such much else.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:24 pm

There are a number of guides that usually hunt Pepin the last couple weeks of the season.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:36 pm

I have done the guide thing before with diffrent guides they all want you to just to keep shooting anything that flys in. Not my idea of fun to have a 150-200$ for a pile of hens. That's why I'm looking to go on my own so I can be selective ( drakes).

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 am

These guides were on Pepin?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:51 pm

No pool 7 and I have done a layout hunt on Lake Michigan. I'm not saying all guides are like this but the few I have used where.

abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Guides are a great experience to use. But when your want that trophy canvasback and the guide tells you that if you don't start shooting we are calling it a day. I'm not here to discuss guided hunts I'm just looking for some general info on open water hunting on Pepin. For example is there alot of people, are there areas to avoid, better areas to launch.......etc

RwRiverRat
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 pm

There is a good handful of guys that open water hunting on both MN and the WI side. A lot of B-52 Bombers (mergansers), doesn't seem to be a whole lot of the more desirable divers. There used to be a guy over on the bay city flats a lot and then another guy more towards the main channel. I'd say it's worth trying at least once, but I'm not a big fan of divers, just my $0.02.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:05 pm

abhelg wrote: But when your want that trophy canvasback and the guide tells you that if you don't start shooting we are calling it a day.

wow..... :shock: Simply horrendous actions by the guide as they are supposed to provide you an enjoyable time with them so you'll return and/or tell other to use them.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm

I have great experiences with guide also just so no one thinks I'm hating on guides here is a pic of some birdsI harvested with the aid of a guide.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”