Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Open water hunting on lake Pepin?

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:37 am

Nice Oldsquaws, where'd you shoot them? There's some guides over on Green Bay that do well on them (thanks zebes!) I've thought about trying to get away for a day when at the in-laws in Milwaukee for the holidays.

As far as Pepin, it's a big lake so even if a couple hundred rigs are hunting it on a weekend (which I'd doubt) there'd still be plenty of room to spread out. Give it a whirl and let us know if it was worth it. I've got a buddy with a cabin on it and asked him about it and he's said the same as has been mentioned...lots of mergansers not much else.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 am

h2ofwlr wrote:
abhelg wrote: But when your want that trophy canvasback and the guide tells you that if you don't start shooting we are calling it a day.

wow..... :shock: Simply horrendous actions by the guide as they are supposed to provide you an enjoyable time with them so you'll return and/or tell other to use them.

Maybe they didn't want him to return or recommend them to his friends? It's not like they want every guy that ever books a hunt to come back.

It's like any other business. Some customers/clients aren't worth it. It's also the job of the guy booking the hunt to find out what type of operation it is and give them their expectations before booking to see if it's a good fit and they can accommodate what that hunter wants. Not trying to offend abhelg, I'm sure he did his due diligence, sometimes it unfortunately doesn't work out.

Pretty much everyone I know in my line of work realizes after gaining some experience that 10% of the people take up 90% of your time. I do my best to not do business with anyone I'm fairly certain is in that 10% and I cut bait quick and try to get rid of them if they sneak by before realizing it. Life is short. We spend a lot of our lives working....to let idiots and crazies be over demanding and make work miserable is to let them make your life miserable. If you're that desperate to where you need to claw for that 10%'s business and put up with their crap....find a new line of work.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:27 pm

IMO all guides suck.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

abhelg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm

I got the oldies on Lake Michigan it was an awesome experience! The guide I used was big water outdoors good guys but you better book ahead of time I have used them twice.

As far as that whole 10% of people taking 90% of time not sure what yours saying?

But I do want to say thanks for the input on pepin I might give it a try thanks

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:IMO all guides suck.

I agree!

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Pretty much everyone I know in my line of work realizes after gaining some experience that 10% of the people take up 90% of your time. I do my best to not do business with anyone I'm fairly certain is in that 10% and I cut bait quick and try to get rid of them if they sneak by before realizing it. Life is short. We spend a lot of our lives working....to let idiots and crazies be over demanding and make work miserable is to let them make your life miserable. If you're that desperate to where you need to claw for that 10%'s business and put up with their crap....find a new line of work.

So true.

I'm am happy to say now that I am at the point where I can usually sniff out the 10% that are going to be shit to work with and just plain choose not to do business with them. It's unfortunately a lesson that has to be learned the hard way, and gets easier the less you need their money.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Yes, it becomes apparent who those people are. Being emotionally dead I usually still do business with them just to keep my clients happt

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:46 pm

been doing it for year....... layout hunting beats field hunting hands down and why I sold all that black hoodie crap... 25 dozen herter's and 2 MLB's
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:35 am

DS~ what you run for a tender? Everything long lines?

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:56 pm

20 ft Alaskan and yes all long lines
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”