Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Mid to low 20s are predicted for the metro Fri-Sun. Likely much colder up north. It'll start making ice.

Chris in MB said his highs by this Thursday will be below 32. He thought a migration out of CAN will be Wed and Thursday.

For those heading out Thursday--be careful with the high winds, 25-35 MPH are already predicted, I suspect in the open areas higher speeds yet.

Good luck Gentlemen and stay safe.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am

Everyone...stay at home, or you will die.
Dominate The Skies.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 am

In the words of the immortal Betty White: "try not to die!"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Yes, time for the "Girly-Men " hunters" to stay at home. Maybe the Asian Persuasion will be gone as well.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 am

Heading for 10 in northern Mn by Sun AM, and upper teens for the metro. That will freeze the sloughs up and many smaller lakes. :(
So much for an "extended" season in S MN when we lost 10 good days of hunting in Oct due to the split closure. Yup we'll be froze up for the last 12 days of the season. Tell me more how the split is a benefit for us hunters when we had an "above average temps" for this fall and are froze out 12 days before the end of the season. :evil:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:40 am

You will be able to hunt through the season in the south zone this year or at least close to it. This front may freeze some small stuff but I don't see anything in the forecast that's going to lock everything up.

Question is, would you have been able to shoot more during the 10 days in October when it was closed or the last 10 days. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 am

Sloughs may freeze up but field hunting will just be getting good. Just need to change the tactics. Too many hunters give up just because they can't launch a boat or wade into a pond. I prefer this last 10 days of the season after stuff freezes. Way less pressure. Hopefully fields freeze hard enough they are decently accessible

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am

It's November 18th. Small sloughs and lake should have been frozen 10 days ago. Field hunting in southern MN will really start getting good now. Last November was brutally cold weather wise and I had some of my best field mallard hunting in my life in southern MN. I can't wait.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:33 am

I don't live in the southern zone but if I did, I'd be thanking my lucky stars there was a split this year. Next couple of weeks could be pretty darn good down there.... That early october is a great time to be in a tree stand vs. shooting more of the same local dux. I wish that we would have had that large of a split in central zone this year. Sunday after thanksgiving won't be enough time for some of the better hunting we have....

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

Oddly, I really could have done without the purchase order that came in.... messing up my hunting :-)

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”