Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 am

What is surprising is the forecast, mid 30s to 40 for the next week. Usually when we get a snow storm the temp drops 20 degrees with the blustery NW wind, not so this time. Being warmer and soft snow (no crust), I think the remaining mallards and geese will stick around until there is a hard crust that they have a difficult time getting through to the corn/bean kernels. But if we get a warm south wind, the snow may be melted a week from now. I have about 4" of wet snow.

Those still out hunting ducks, good luck. :)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:36 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:What is surprising is the forecast, mid 30s to 40 for the next week. Usually when we get a snow storm the temp drops 20 degrees with the blustery NW wind, not so this time. Being warmer and soft snow (no crust), I think the remaining mallards and geese will stick around until there is a hard crust that they have a difficult time getting through to the corn/bean kernels. But if we get a warm south wind, the snow may be melted a week from now. I have about 4" of wet snow.

Those still out hunting ducks, good luck. :)

Poor southern boys might have to wait awhile for once! I love it!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Hansen wrote:The flight Friday was weird for us. We had a good honker flight in the morning but only saw a few flocks of mallards. Around 2:00 we saw flock after flock after flock of mallards in big groups until sunset. The honker feed at night was much less.

Only hunted Friday, I had family stuff Saturday and Sunday. I've had a great season and I'm done.

In prior lake we only got an inch or two of snow, too warm it actually rained Monday night. A few mallards might push out but we will have awesome numbers of birds until close.

I don't know where you hunt but your seeing and doing better then 99% of the people still trying.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 am

Lot of geese flying over this morning.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:12 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Lot of geese flying over this morning.

non-stop here going over shop.....with all this snow on the ground I'm thinking they will keep going......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”