Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: It will start to ice up by this weekend.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:43 pm

My dad is in nd pheasant hunting. He saw birds riding the wind high migrating south all day today. Fair amount of birds on the ground but most are doin the fly over. Mainly snows and honkers with some ducks mixed in. Birds in the area were flying low with the 40 mph winds and gusts up to 80. Sounds like he could have cleaned up on snows pass shooting but he was concentrated on the cock. Small water is locked up with the exception of bigger water or ponds the birds have kept open.

Mn is a lot warmer than nd. That has shifted late migrations in the past. Here's to hoping

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 am

Banged out a limit this morning in the metro on a slough that hasn't seen more than a spoon bill or two in weeks, bunch of birds showed up yesterday evening. Surprised I didn't die in that wind today though. The 1/2 acre floating bog I was in broke free from whatever it's anchor was all season and ate my pushpole and a couple of decoys.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 am

^^^^ I know a similar place that provided my best mallard shoot.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:54 am

The geese were sure flying last evening. Most going SSE.

There are a lot of flooded fields around here but didn't find any birds using them. Not sure what to do tomorrow yet, but I do know I need to take a break from bow hunting and try to shoot a few birds.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:12 am

Greatwhite - What's the ice like today, headed down there tonight.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Yesterday while working outside every hour I heard/saw Tundra Swans migrating SE. This AM while working outside for an hr I saw 3 flocks of Canada's heading SE. 24 here this morning at 7AM.

I suspect that SE MN will have excellent field hunting for Canada geese through this weekend.

Looking ahead, low 40s in S Mn for M-W, and then a snowstorm Thurs-Fri. 2-6" predicted at this point by Intellicast.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Hansen wrote:Greatwhite - What's the ice like today, headed down there tonight.

Flooded fields weren't even completely iced over this morning. Not sure on actual bodies of water. Going to look at a couple after work and can get back.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Geese in every direction you looked this morning headed in every direction but north.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:38 pm

There were tons of geese last weekend in SW MN. As long as the water is still open it could be really good.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Hansen wrote:There were tons of geese last weekend in SW MN. As long as the water is still open it could be really good.

Plus add a snow line.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”