Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Field Hudnall's improbable Eider band

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 pm

A pretty cool story, I think most will enjoy it.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/banding/fi ... oe=fbdec16
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Field Hudnall's improbable Eider band

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Nice looking bird.........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Bands suck. I like my birds pure and untainted by human hands.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:38 am

So he shot it in the same location it was banded. Even if it was 9 years later on that particular eider, how is that so improbable?

I'm sure Field has plenty of other bands he "improbably" shot at the same location they were banded.
"Only half the numbers on the band were legible. Brad asked me what the first series of numbers were. I read them off, and he said: 'that's my bird.'" Brad had banded the eider in 2006, explaining that he handled most of the banding in the area and that was the number series he used. "I told Brad I think I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Thanks for posting h2ofwlr, it was still an enjoyable read.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 am

Who's Field Hudnall?

I'm certain Google would answer that for me, so treat that more of a statement than a question to actually answer.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:06 am

^^^He was nursed into waterfowling fame and fortune at the tit of none other than Frederick "Fred" Zink himself. He even won the World's Goose using a Zink call that was later named the "Money-Maker." He left Fred years back now to play tuggy-buggy with Tony Vandermore at habitat flats in NW MO and create his own production company.

Kind of crazy, and sad, that I know all that off the top of my head....
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Fish Felon wrote:tuggy-buggy

LOL!

Now that dude that shot a banded pintail from Japan in California....that was cool. 8-)
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:21 pm

met the guy a couple times, seems like a pretty humble, pretty genuine dude... Certainly wouldn't cut him down for using his talents to build a career. Despite who he "nursed" on before he went out on his own. He's done a fair amount getting kids interested in waterfowling which is pretty commendable.

All that said, I'm not sure why this is news. A guy with lanyards full of bands shot a banded duck??? In other earth shattering news... Charlie Sheen has another STD

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:04 am

^^^^ I think that's a bit of the point re: nursing at the teet and tuggy-buggy...... It's all been done before. Like an "improbable" band being newsworthy.

Media generally has gotten stale, and the faces that make a living from it aren't what they used to be. From the Edward R. Morrow's and Walter Cronkites turning into Brian Williams and Katie Couric, to the "glory" days of outdoor hosts like Curt Gowdy and Grits Gresham degenerating into the Banded dude and 400 neophytes with a camera and stickers on their trailer.

The general reaction anymore to anything is, "Meh."

Not intending to rip on the Hudnall fella, but Zepplin's gone and the hole has been filled by Imagine Dragon's, if that makes sense.

duck_dynasty
Coot Commander

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm

"Not intending to rip on the Hudnall fella, but Zepplin's gone and the hole has been filled by Imagine Dragon's, if that makes sense"

^^^^ extremely well put, with the internet nothing stands out anymore, everyone has seen everything

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”