Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

2016 USFWS Waterfowl framework already proposed

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Minnesota Waterfowl Association's Blog

Fish and Wildlife Service proposes liberal season framework for 2016 December 16, 2015

It’s not even Christmas yet, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service already has proposed a liberal season framework for the 2016 season. The early announcement is the result of a new process the federal agency is using.

Not surprisingly, the federal agency is proposing another liberal season framework, which, in Minnesota, would mean 60 days and six ducks.

In the past, the framework-setting process hasn’t been complete until the middle of the summer, leaving little time for biologists and others to comment on the proposed rules, and little time for states to finalize their seasons and print regulations.

If all goes according to plan, the USFWS will finalize the 2016 regulations at the end of February, 2016, and the Minnesota DNR will finalize the season for the state shortly thereafter. We’ll have to wait and see whether the DNR continues to create a waterfowl regulations supplement, or whether the regs are now included in the larger hunting and trapping regulations booklet.

If you want to comment on the proposed 2016 frameworks, you can. Just follow this link and scroll down to Page 2 for instructions. http://www.fws.gov/home/feature/2015/pd ... s-2016.pdf
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

mulefarm
Coot Commander

Re: 2016 USFWS Waterfowl framework already proposed

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:35 am

Great change!

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:55 am

I'm glad to see that they are taking an early approach to this.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08 pm

With Hunter numbers going down in the United States and Canada, this has been long overdue. And stop calling them liberal seasons, that's outdated. It'll start being liberal when we finally get a spring season. There's no reason we couldn't have a spring drakes only season other than outdated regulations and laws written a long time ago. Could be a great way to raise revenue through a spring hunting stamp worth $100 with a 3 bird season limit and have it run 2 weeks. You wouldn't be disturbing much or affecting the population at all, when you could only shoot 3 birds. Have site tags like deer hunting and guys would either blow their load like a teenager who doesn't know which hole to stick it in or guys would be holding out for huge birds to mount.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:59 pm

A) liberal is one of three labels the fws uses for duck seasons. The other two are moderate & restrictive, although apparently it's almost impossible to have anything but liberal

B) Ducks start courting and forming pair bonds now through spring, as they have for eons. I'm sure thinning out paired drakes just as the hens start nesting would be stellar for productivity.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Quack wrote:A) liberal is one of three labels the fws uses for duck seasons. The other two are moderate & restrictive, although apparently it's almost impossible to have anything but liberal

B) Ducks start courting and forming pair bonds now through spring, as they have for eons. I'm sure thinning out paired drakes just as the hens start nesting would be stellar for productivity.

This one has me stumped?

And liberal, moderate and restrictive, is based off of what, a 3/30, a 4/40 and a 6/60, right? That's what I consider outdated, it's farking stupid.

Are ducks monogamous?

Turkeys and deer get harassed during their breeding seasons, what's the difference?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Quack
Mergie Marauder

2016 USFWS Waterfowl framework already proposed

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Yes, ducks are essentially monogamous

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: 2016 USFWS Waterfowl framework already proposed

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Quack wrote:Yes, ducks are essentially monogamous

Except ruddies and some other diver if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:50 pm

And except for the fact that they get raped constantly and every egg will be have different DNA because hens are cheating sluts. Ever seen a lone hen in the spring? Probably not very many, and probably only because a bachelor hadn't found her yet since her mate died. They would be okay.

As for liberal seasons being called liberal... you are spot on. I've been complaining about that for years. Calling it liberal gives people a reason to think that the season and limits are actually liberal, when in reality they are very restrictive and designed (very effectively) not to affect the overall population. Liberal would 100/20.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2016 USFWS Waterfowl framework already prioposed

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 am

So if a duck is truly monogamous, we probably shouldn't shoot drakes or hens in the fall either? Dead ducks don't breed.

It's like the retarded argument of releasing fish to spawn in the spring, but throwing every fish you catch every other time of year in the well, on the bank or on the ice. It's another feel good thought process, when in all actuality, it's not based on anything other than warm fuzzy feelings nurtured in a woman's velvet coot'er.

If a hen looses a drake in the spring, summer, fall, winter or whenever, she'll get breed, consentually or other wise.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”