Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

2016 MN Waterfowl Hall of Fame is Feb 6th. Bud Grant is an inductee.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:45 am

You read it right, ol' Bud got the nod. He's never been one to mince words, so it could be interesting evening.

MWA Conservation Awards and Waterfowl Hall of Fame Banquet

5:00pm CST - 9:30pm CST, February 6th, 2016
We are honored to announce this years awards banquet will be held on February 6th starting at 5:00 p.m. This is a huge night for MWA, and we would love it if you could join us for a fabulous night, and learn about some really great people that have done so much for the outdoors in Minnesota. If you are interested, the tickets are $45 per person, and you can call the MWA office to get your dinner tickets. 952-767-0320. We really hope you can be a part of this great night!

MWA welcomes the 2016 class to the Minnesota Waterfowl Hall of Fame January 16, 2016

We’re excited to announce the 2016 inductees to the Minnesota Waterfowl Hall of Fame.
By way of background, we inducted the first class into the hall in 2010, so this marks the seventh round of inductions. We’ll make the inductions, like we do every year, during our annual state conservation awards banquet, which is set this year for Saturday, Feb. 6. More details, including how to attend, are here.

Here are this year’s Hall of Fame inductees:

Tim Bremicker
Tim Bremicker worked for about four decades for the Minnesota DNR and was instrumental in waterfowl habitat restoration almost immediately after taking on area manager responsibility in Cold Spring in 1975. He also worked on the 1985 federal farm bill, the original Reinvest in Minnesota program, and the Wetland Conservation Act. He was intimately involved in development of Adaptive Harvest Management, and has been recognized on a number of occasions for his commitment to waterfowl and conservation.

Greg Berg
Greg Berg’s initial foray into waterfowl conservation led to him chairing his local Ducks Unlimited chapter banquet for nine consecutive years. He joined the Minnesota Waterfowl Association staff in 1984 as its lead fund-raiser, and two years later was promoted and became the group’s executive director. He also was a key player in establishing and growing Woodie Camp, and continues to volunteer as a shooting instructor at the camp when his schedule permits. Today, he is owner and president of Custom Art Concepts, which supplies outdoor-themed products designed for conservation organization fund-raising.

Carstens Industries
Carstens Industries, Inc., has been manufacturing top-of-the-line, hand-crafted fiberglass duck boats for more than 40 years. Waterfowling runs in the Carstens’ family’s blood, and they’ve put that experience and knowledge to use in manufacturing a product that has become a staple in duck camps across the state – including their own.

Bud Grant
Perhaps best known as the long-time coach of the Minnesota Vikings, Bud Grant also has been active in fishing, hunting, and conservation for his entire life. Over the years, he has used his notoriety to bring attention to a variety of outdoor-related issues. He played key roles in passage of the Right to Hunt and Fish, as well as the passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment, which voters approved in 2008.

Oscar Quam
Oscar Quam was a farmer who was particularly interested in ducks. He operated the Quam Hunting Club on an island near his family farm from 1910 until the early 1940s. He then made ducks decoys and calls, and taught calling through his “School of Duckology.” He passed away in 1969.

Jerry Raedeke
A renowned wildlife artist, Jerry Raedeke has donated thousands of wildlife prints that have raised millions of dollars for conservation in Minnesota and beyond. A Lutheran pastor in the Worthington area, he turned his attention to wildlife art following his retirement. He sold his first wildlife paintings when he was 11 years old, and over the years has worked on a variety of projects, including being commissioned to paint the famous Budweiser Clydesdales in a wildlife setting.

Doug Smith
If you’ve been reading outdoor-related stories for long, you’ve probably read the work of Doug Smith, who recently retired from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. He covered state and federal agencies, conservation groups and politicians, shedding light on conservation efforts during the past 20 years.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2016 MN Waterfowl Hall of Fame is Feb 6th. Bud Grant is an inductee.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:45 pm

What?

As consistent as he has been in the Vikings Franchise losing ways, he also is the cause of no birds in MN.

AND judging by the DA story this fall he ruined duck hunting and an airplane in Canada.

And now he's in TWO Halls of Fame?!

His winning track record as a blue collar public land hunter, his tireless efforts of leading conservation projects, his relentless lobbying on behalf of the resource..... or, a 5 minute speech at a duck rally, yeah, that's probably more like it.

Sorry, Bud is my current Moriarty for things I hold dear. Much easier in life to have an "other" to blame, it seems to work for entire populations. Figured I'd give it a try ;-)

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what specifically has Bud Grant done for the waterfowling masses? I haven't followed his career, so I am very uninformed.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:25 pm

The only thing I can think of that Bud did on behalf of sportsmen and not himself was when he spearheaded the legal fight against the Ojibwe/Chippewa and their claim to fishing and hunting rights via the 1837 treaty.

If I remember right the DNR had reached a compromise with the tribes that was very fair to the state. Bud wouldn't stand for it so he jumped in and urged his sportsmen brethren to push and fund the legal fight that was successful in losing at all levels and circuits until it made it all the way to the legal super bowl of being heard before the Super....I mean, Supreme Court.....

.....where once again Bud's team choked and lost.

Thanks Bud!

Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Correction: he is now in 3 Halls of Fame (or is at Hall of Fame?).... anyway, I had neglected the CFL (Canadian Football League).... he win 4 Grey's Cups before heading back to Minne...

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:35 am

A tough crowd to please.....

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:07 am

He advocated for the legacy amendment and also helped DA raise funds to buy a helicopter for game wardens in Louisiana.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm

I just added the inductees info above.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Quack wrote:He advocated for the legacy amendment and also helped DA raise funds to buy a helicopter for game wardens in Louisiana.

No one helped DA.

NO ONE.

He's got the extremely worn Pulitzer from being over polished to prove it!

All kidding aside he's done some stuff and due to the nature of the HOF, which I'm still somewhat fuzzy on, would say he's a deserving candidate.

I'm looking forward to the symposium and would honestly like to have gone to the ceremony but have a prior engagement I have to make.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”