Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
mnfowl
Site Admin

Re: Anyone Gearing Up for Snows?

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:47 am

Guys - I've gone through and removed the original copy and paste. While the information may or may not be true, it was posted in poor character. Please refrain from directly quoting second-hand information on encounters that you've had no involvement in.

A link to the original content would have been more appropriate.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:53 am

mnfowl wrote:Please refrain from directly quoting second-hand information on encounters that you've had no involvement in.

Perfectly worded.... Hopefully by complying with this statement, Al will finally quit the Internet for good!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Anyways...

Anyone going out this weekend?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 am

mnfowl wrote:Guys - I've gone through and removed the original copy and paste. While the information may or may not be true, it was posted in poor character. Please refrain from directly quoting second-hand information on encounters that you've had no involvement in.

So should not all the comments related to the SD bad guides be then deleted (including quoted responses), and also Gordons C&P as he was not there either? Because if you want a new rule, then fine, but apply it equally to all is all that I ask.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 am

Bill Gilbertson wrote:Fowler, your reputation just took a huge hit. Why would you cut and paste someone else's critical review unless you were personally involved? Do you take special pleasure in trying to ruin someone's business without personal knowledge of the facts.

So be it. I have never shied away of being critical of unscrupulous G/O. And the majority of Snow G/O are just that. There should be major control Federally as they are using a international resource [strict licensing, like taking tests on safety, the laws, trespass laws, having insurance, if out of line a way clients and others (landowners , etc) can lodge a complaint against them to revoke their lic, etc, etc. ] over the G/O as the majority are like the plague.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am

Fowler, you can rail against g/o all you want. For those of who are not as skilled as you or don't have knowledge or time, they serve a purpose. They work for me. When you call out specific g/o when you don't know the full story, you cross the line.

And as far as more government regulation, we don't need more of that. There are countless regulations that only serve to make things more expensive for all of us.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:41 am

I just added 500 socks to my spread and I have a picture of me with 84 snow geese layed out in a grid pattern in front of my decoys. Looks like I have everything I need to guide spring snows. ....lately that has been the mentality of a lot of younger guys I run into here in SD. Many also guide ice fishing in the winter. Another unregulated venture, and a venture getting more and more complaints. My personal feelings about fall waterfowl guides aside, fishing guides and snow goose guides serve a purpose, but the industry has become clouded with aholes and unqualified individuals here in SD and I think there is a slow burn towards change. The waterfowling community is small in SD and communication is easy. Access to our state representatives and out GFP commission is easy. Don't be surprised if within 3 years things are different in SD.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Anyone Gearing Up for Snows?

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:49 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:[quote="mnfowl"]Guys - I've gone through and removed the original copy and paste. While the information may or may not be true, it was posted in poor character. Please refrain from directly quoting second-hand information on encounters that you've had no involvement in.

So should not all the comments related to the SD bad guides be then deleted (including quoted responses), and also Gordons C&P as he was not there either? Because if you want a new rule, then fine, but apply it equally to all is all that I ask.[/quote]
I didn't copy and paste anything. And I didn't post anything that would hurt anyone's reputation....well, other than yours. I posted two screen shots to help clear the air for guides that aren't on this forum to defend themselves from erroneous statements made by internet know-it-alls.

I'm glad that you're the only one confused as to why you're in the wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Craigslist Prostaff

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:01 am

Argument about this exact instance aside.........guides need to be regulated, period.

Personal story for what it's worth - my buddy "won" a hunt with probly the most well known "guide" in MO. anyway it was a complete joke. Zero communication, voicemails not returned, supposed to be four guys including "guide" turned out there were 11. Two to other guys drove from like Alabama with zero communication and were pissed. Then the spread had been sitting in the same spot for a long time, all cover matted down around blinds, decoys in shambles, garbage around blinds, a flock would come within 100 yards eleven guys would jump up and unload and maybe break a wing or two. We just left and told mr.big time hunter to go f himself.

If you have money, no time or equipment, are willing to listen to total idiots talk about themselves the entire time, shoot little to nothing, and have no hunting knowledge, guides are for you.

Only exception I've seen is when Mr.Lee was in business, but he worked liked a dog to put people under birds and he had more hunting knowledge than the rest of us combined. Maybe there are others in operation like him but from what I have seen and from what I have learned talking with people who do use guides he was the exception.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:10 am

The "most well known "guide" in MO" would be the one that gets the license and the guy that works his tail off would likely have trouble getting through the process. How will regulation solve a problem?

Last month, I had a fishing trip scheduled in Florida, where captains are licensed. I had talked to the guy a few weeks before and made final arrangements. On the day before the trip, I reached out to confirm our meeting location and got no reply. We showed up where I thought we were supposed to meet and his boat was not there. A half hour after our agreed meet time, he calls and tells me he dropped his phone in the drink. He said it was too windy to go offshore, but he would consult the tide tables and get back to me. I never heard from him again. Licensing and regulation did not fix this problem. The guy is likely going out of business. We did book another captain and had 2 days of great fishing.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”