Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone Gearing Up for Snows?

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:54 pm

A week ago I thought Yankton was going to be perfect. Now its looking like I'm going to be hitting up the tail end! Crazy how much a week can change things.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm

So how is it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 pm

I dunno yet. I'm on my way there now.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Good luck

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 am

We hunted the Lake Thompson area Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday. Very disappointing. A few small groups of migrators Tuesday at sunset, and one large flock (2K) roosting on the ice. Wednesday we set up in a WIA corn field near Ramona and had one flock (200) come in as we were parking the trucks. After that NADA, nothing, Zero, etc. We scouted for a bit about noon time and didn't see another flock feeding, roosting, or flying in the area. We also didn't see any other hunters or guides. There are a lot of blackened fields (beans chiseled plowed) in the area. There was one large feed just south of Oldham, right outside of town 1/4 mile. They left for parts unknown.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm

I was kind of surprised that Squaw emptied out.

Over the weekend the Aberdeen radar showed flocks of Snows heading north.

But we all know they can push north in the AM and simply return back south in the PM. So I have no idea if they returned or stayed in ND Or if there are still Snows in southern SD or NE and IA. Or if they flew over SD this year.

They are talking 60s for Aberdeen with south winds the next couple of days http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USSD0001

The current snow line is the north of the Canada border in western ND, and DL in eastern ND and I suspect it'll be the Canada border by Fri or Sat in eastern ND
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

tbuc
Coot Commander

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 pm

cstemig wrote:We hunted the Lake Thompson area Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday. Very disappointing. A few small groups of migrators Tuesday at sunset, and one large flock (2K) roosting on the ice. Wednesday we set up in a WIA corn field near Ramona and had one flock (200) come in as we were parking the trucks. After that NADA, nothing, Zero, etc. We scouted for a bit about noon time and didn't see another flock feeding, roosting, or flying in the area. We also didn't see any other hunters or guides. There are a lot of blackened fields (beans chiseled plowed) in the area. There was one large feed just south of Oldham, right outside of town 1/4 mile. They left for parts unknown.

Thanks for the report. I am headed out that way tomorrow and was hoping to hunt that area you just described rather than go further north and west. Based on reports lately, it's been sounding like I'll have to put on a few extra miles to get up where the birds are now. Hoping at least not to have to go to ND, but it may be the best move now.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 pm

A friend of mine scouted at Groton and reported that several inches of snow is still on the ground. If I was going out again, I would head west towards Huron and then north.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm aiming for ND in 2-3 weeks...after this weekend it is supposed to cool back down a little

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Sand has 250k but they feel the migration will be past them by the end of the weekend...gonna be busy this weekend in ND

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”