Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Anyone Gearing Up for Snows?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Here is something that I think every one can agree upon, contact the BBB and file complaints against unscrupulous G/Os. But then also USE the BBB to check on G/O. As I said the other day, get multiple positive references too. Get it in writing what they are to provide.

And on a positive slant, years ago when early Honkers 1st started up, a guy name Hansen (sorry i don't remember his 1st name, he lives in Detroit lakes area now the last I heard) who lived in Ramsey and guided part time with another guy out of the FF area. He did what he said he'd do.
Dean at Premier in Rochester, has done the same.
Steve Lee did what he said he'd do.
I hunted with Phil on a pigeon shoot, he did what he said he'd do.

So there are good guides out there, but alas 3 of the above have quit or substantially changed what they guide.

I think some guys would be better off offering regular hunters $100 a day to help them pay for the wear and tear on their decoys, gas, etc and go with them.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:24 am

Birds sure slowed down with these cold snaps. 15 in Devil's lake this morning. Warm up early this coming week, then another cold snap. Was looking at next weekend but it's going to be too early. Weekend after that is going to suck got a meeting Friday afternoon and one Monday so only have a 2 day weekend. Might have to go the following weekend, see what the weather does I guess

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Saw a nice juvy feed off 59 north of Marshall last night. Could have shot some from the ditch, but only had a 9 and AR with, and didn't see any neck collars. ;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Couple out by the waterfowl Mecca pelican lake, go getum!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Well I have a meeting in Fargo Thursday the 14th anyway, so my plan is to just tow my trailer with and hunt that weekend solo

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Anyone been out? Still planning next week long as work calms down

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 am

I heard that there are still plenty of Snows in ND the last few days.

Now if the cold weather sticks around, so will the Snows. If it gets into the 60s, likely they will migrate N.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bucky Goldstein
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:28 pm

A bit late in the world of spring snows...but we hunted dickey and lamoure counties mar 29-apr 3. THe first couple days bird numbers were perfect-we could find 3-4 groups of 5-15k birds and choose the best situation to hunt. Later in the week there was a big reverse migration and suddenly there were birds everywhere and of course decoying got more difficult. It was a fun trip...a few good days and a couple tough ones.

If I were headed out this week I think I'd go to the same area and start working north

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Buddy shot 130 the other day here in SD. I haven't seen a flock bigger than 200 since Sunday though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Sweet! I'm planning on starting SEND and going from there. Hoping to scout Thursday night for a few hours and prolly all day Friday before choosing a spot to hunt Saturday. Will start by checking where I have found the juvies past 2 years and see what I find. Have a local I joined up with last year too, he'll be scouting as well

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”