Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: First fights and 2nd attempts

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:19 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
I wish we (NWS) had a seasonal accumulated rain fall map like Canada does. Then you can see which areas are wet the last few months.

NWS website does have accumulated precipitation and you can set your timeframe to display. If I remember, i'll post the link tomorrow. Even with all the rain in western MN guys are going to be surprised at the lack of water on some sloughs. Drove by one popular WPA near artichoke today that is 30 acres of mudflat yet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: First fights and 2nd attempts

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 am

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

here's the 60 day accumulated for the upper midwest:

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Saw an egret.

In a pasture.

Guess frogs are easier in flooded grass.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Wow, that photo is crazy. Basically all of Minnesota and the eastern 1/3 of ND has received between 10-15 inches of rain in the last 60 days!

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:45 pm

^^^^^
Except right north of Alexandria. The lake our cabin is on is still down about a foot from the 15 year normal and wetlands are pretty low. Watch the radar sometime, you will literally see the clouds part when they hit the area then reform once they get past...I believe there is a study going on behind the phenomenon as we speak.

One of the fields we hunt has 100 birds in it, another 20 or so. Goose number appear consistent with 3-10 years ago. The last couple of years they were low. It's a pity we had such an early Spring, any field the birds are in now will be eaten out long before the season opens.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Talked to my farmer friend in ND last night. He said the heavy rain has been widespread with some areas getting over 5 inches of rain recently. He said his farm only received a couple inches recently. Those radar estimates are not totally accurate, according to the map they should have received more. ND has been wet enough that it's keeping farmers from haying as much as they normally would. That should really help late nesting ducks. He said ducks are all over. His CRP is flooded! Shaping up to be a good fall. He will be plowing up his wheat fields as soon as he can get out and it's dry enough.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”