Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

First fights and 2nd attempts

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:08 am

The ducklings from two ago appear to all be flying.

Seeing late broods hatched. Last mating flight I saw was at least 4 weeks ago.

The evening roost flights into the refuge @ Shakopee are starting. Days noticeably shorter. Started on decoys last night.

Yup.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: First fights and 2nd attempts

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:18 am

Geese are starting to move, lots of geese in the south metro! Huge wheat field off 21 in Shako is loaded in the mornings now. Starting to get excited. My son starts gun safety a the horse and hunt on Monday, I think he is starting to get the itch as well.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:08 am

This was taken this morning out my front window. Looks like they hatched in the last few days. I saw this hen walking around in my yard a couple weeks ago probably looking for a nesting location. First hatches have been flying for a couple weeks now. Some geese are nearly full grown. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:26 pm

I saw a hen Mallard sitting on a nest 3 weeks ago... that's pretty late.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 am

I think there will be a big second hatch with all the water in the state. Things are looking awesome for opener.

I've seen plenty of first hatch ducks flying as well. Nice bunches of mallards working around.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:14 am

I agree, the water should help with the second hatch. The downside to all the water is that it probably flooded out a lot of the rice crop. I haven't been out to check but judging on how high some of our local waters came up I think its toast. We haven't had a good rice crop in the area we hunt in over 5 years.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Talked to my buddy a few weeks ago he said the rice lakes in the Bemidji/Winni areas are crazy with rice this year! He said Squaw was loaded with rice.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Well that's encouraging. I know the area in Aitkin co where our shack is probably got flooded out. I talked with a client that lives out that way and they said the water was almost as high as the 2012 flood a few weeks back.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:43 pm

I couldn't find the stat but read somewhere 2nd nests hatch rates are typically good but brood survival is lower. Maybe that was Al, I don't know. Anyway, an assumption is less shallow and more deep waters make duckling nutrition more difficult. Shallows are better for micro invertebrates, easier to reach fresh growth weed foods, etc.

Will be keeping an eye on the roost flight paths the next couple weeks. Fresh harvested wheat fields in WC Minnesota are filling up with geese. New families flying daily it seems.

Getting anxious.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I think Aitkin are got hammered. Further north should be fine o think.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”