Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: First fights and 2nd attempts

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Been noticing good flights, unfortunately our awesome traffic alfalfa field we have hunted for about 15 years got corn planted in it. I've got some other spots but not nearly as good as that one, kind of a bummer. Honestly don't think we will hunt much Sept season. None of my buddies scout or want to hunt somewhere we have to actually work a little bit at it

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:47 am

^^^ I get it about others not wanting to pitch in, as I went through that 15+ years ago :(

As for the rice comments on the 1st page. spot on about the east central Mn from Brainerd and east, as major flooding which does not at all look good for rice which likes stable waters.

2nd attempt nests usually have less eggs, 3rd attempt even less yet regardless of species. Survival rates, well frankly at the top of my head I don't remember if there is a different survival % rates. (I hate getting old as my memory is not as good as it used to be).

BTW it is macro invertebrates (you can actually see them with your naked eyes) that is key for duckling food, basically it is insect larvae. Micro invertebrates means you need a microscope to see them and as such not direct food for ducklings or ducks, but are still an important part of the food chain ecologically speaking.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:35 am

Cool.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 am

I was up in the Leech area this weekend and the rice looked great, almost too thick in spots. Saw some young bluebills that were flying around.

I had two young golden eyes in front of my house last night. I've never seen them nest around here. No adults in site which seemed kind of strange but they looked big enough to fend for themselves.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:26 am

Rain was late enough that the rice will be fine. It was already up and well grown. A month earlier it would have wiped it out.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Saw a woodcock today..... in Douglas Cty.

That's definitely a first for me... and the furthest South I've encountered one in MN.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 pm

I saw a couple down by Rochester years ago in the fall when scouting for deer.

All the rains lately in central part of the state, I wonder if that will spread out the ducks, and thus make it harder to find them 1.5 mo from now?

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:58 am

What a crazy rain last night! It will spread of the ducks for sure. What young ducks are still developing will get plenty of places to hide from predators as well.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: First fights and 2nd attempts

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:35 pm

lanyard wrote:Saw a woodcock today..... in Douglas Cty.

That's definitely a first for me... and the furthest South I've encountered one in MN.

I shoot them in redwood county every year. Fun hunting them things.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:38 pm

The last few days I've seen a number of mature broods in the ponds, the best I've seen in years. If that holds true through out MN, we should have a VG opener birds #s wise.

More flash flood warnings out again, now just south of Scott Cty. for 2" rains there on top of the all the rain 36 hrs ago.

I don't think this is accurate as I had 3.8" of rain 2 nights ago and it shows less than 2" But you can tell where a fair amount of rain is by the dark green areas, even yellow (8+") out by Wilmar. Also out in ND, those dark green are areas to scout for ducks this fall.

I wish we (NWS) had a seasonal accumulated rain fall map like Canada does. Then you can see which areas are wet the last few months.
Attachments
rain.gif

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”