Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: New birds

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I would think yesterday's big NW wind brought in fresh new birds. My guess is hunting today was very good.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New birds

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:35 am

gimpfinger wrote:Bwt were hit or miss down here with no big numbers if you found some. Found a few Sunday but the size of GWT flocks showing up mid morning was impressive.

We had a shitload of teal Saturday. Storms that afternoon and evening...they were gone Sunday. Saw a few hundred in the 20 minutes we hunted Saturday...saw 30 by 11 Sunday.
Dominate The Skies.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:11 am

Yesterday crossing the Bloomington Ferry Bridge I saw the typical mob of coots on Fisher lake you see in the fall. Good sign that birds migrated in recently.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 am

I heard of lots of snow in SK yesterday, like some places had up to 12". It is still snowing in Regina and Saskatoon this AM it now snowing from Brandon to Swan River in MB, basically the western MB parklands

20s in AB and SK and 30's in MB this AM

I would suspect that there would be a fairly good push of birds into MT, ND and perhaps into the N 1/2 of MN as the snow and cold pushes eastward.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Cypress Hills, SW SK, 20" and still snowing....
Attachments
N SK.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:23 pm

I have this sinking feeling the south zone is looking at a 30 day season again before freeze up.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Cans are moving in Central with a loss of rings as of Sunday.

Gimp- your trip up next week might be well timed.

With luck I'll see some water mid week. Work schedule tanked so no birds on the new start for me.

Need a few more to close out my HIP 10+ for next year's license. After that, it's all gravy.

2015 will be hard to beat.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New birds

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 pm

lanyard wrote:Cans are moving in Central with a loss of rings as of Sunday.

Gimp- your trip up next week might be well timed.

With luck I'll see some water mid week. Work schedule tanked so no birds on the new start for me.

Need a few more to close out my HIP 10+ for next year's license. After that, it's all gravy.

2015 will be hard to beat.

Heading up tomorrow (Friday) night and hunting till Wednesday so hope we see some. I like the the strong west wind for tomorrow with this front. The timing is the same almost every year when the south is closed. Always have the first good front blow then. Fishing will probably suck but should be some birds.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Winter weather advisory for for several Central MN counties over night.

Snowing East of Winner, SD.

Never pushes the birds if they get on feed, but I'd think it will step up a bit.

Nice thing is, they'll all hang in that sheltered South Zone and when it opens back up next Saturday you'll get to get after them again! ;-)

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Noticed a few more geese around. Can't believe winter weather advisories already up nort. Was hoping to get up to the cabin to hunt a day or two next weekend but grandma is coming to town. Want to catch some of them ringers

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”