Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: New birds

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:16 am

The group of geese using the field by my house doubled in size on Wednesday night. Wish the old lady who owns it wasn't such an animal lover. Geese have been loafing on the beech in front of my house...awful tempting but I don't want to be that guy on the lake.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Stupid old lady bird lovers.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:39 am

I'm guessing there was a good migration yesterday. North wind, cool temps up north, full moon or near full moon, this weekend should be good with north winds today as well.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I've noticed that locally that the Wood ducks have mostly migrated now.

And traditionally this next week is the top migration week for divers in Mn
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Cans are on the down trend, bluebills on the up. With current patterns local pockets of wood ducks will be harvested the next two weeks... the overnight lows, day time highs, and high pressure system will keep pockets around. Had wood ducks flying over my deer stand last year.

Will be interesting to see how disappointed everyone is when the big push doesn't arrive the day they are in the marsh.

Heading SW corner this weekend for a Saturday a.m. hunt. Hopes are low, but there's always a chance. Anticipate heavy spoonbill casualties. Wish I was headed out to Marsh/Lac Qui Parle area, but have a nice opportunity to hunt with my kid and his grandpa so that time wins out over birds.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Seems to be some new birds in the area, geese are around in good numbers with most using refuge fields. We have been hunting mainly flooded corn so far this year with good success. Set up last night in a flooded corn spot and there were ringbills, buffleheads and redheads out there. Not to often you see that. It should only get better.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Nice thing about the fall.. there's always ducks migrating, so there's always hope for tomorrow.

Pond in back of the house, just above the MN Valley Refuge, pick up a dozen and a half wood ducks today. The drakes are 'Uge. Geese have been kicking it for the last week, will see if they've bugged out or back in the morning. There is another pond 3/4 a mile NW that has been used as a daytime loafing pond. Bean fields for breakfast, loaf, beans, roost. Only pressure these get is me starting tractor up in 5 minutes.

Damn shame.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:55 pm

I was gone a couple days and driving home around sunset seemed to be a lot more mallards and geese than when I left.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:11 am

On the tractor last night, before I clipped my Energizer LED on, I was wishing I was in the blind.

Guessing there was some movement, there's likely some fresh birds across the state this morning.

Concerned the South wind and warm temps will have their duck arses parked and getting fat in refuge areas.

Fingers crossed some contacts have a field with standing water.

Based on observations this morning either new birds moved in or the chill had them flying later/different directions.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Who's hunting tomorrow? Crap wind for it but a few jerk string should help...I hope.

Hoping for some cans and redheads but nothing gets a pass tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”