Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: New birds

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Only have 4 years left. It's all done after 2020.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New birds

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:56 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Definitely quite a few flocked up wood ducks this morning

Was no shortage of them things today. Few geese and some ringers but they all wanted to go the other way down the kake.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Ya just jumped 40 out of a low spot by my deer stand too, never seen standing water in there in the fall. Would be a fun hunt when they got up they were hitting branches everywhere

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:44 pm

I brought my buddy in to the ringer hole my bro and I hunted on opener. Roughly the same number of birds as two weeks ago. Those birds sure put on a display in aerial acrobatics when they are comfy in a spot. Tried to get video of a flock of about 1000 dive bombing in out of the clouds but the phone wouldn't pick it up. Some fresh mallards moved in today and decoyed in to the diver spread perfectly but the shooting was poor on those flocks. Fun weekend. Gonna be down in Gimps hood for the reopener next weekend and to chase some pheasants. Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Very nice!
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Maybe you could take DA with you?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 am

DA seems to think we should be able to bring back to the old days of being able to go sit on any point in MN and shoot limits. He'd probably put a negative spin on it and the article would probably be labeled something along the lines of 'What it takes for a successful duck hunt in MN' and he'd focus more on the work to access the spot than the hunt and the great show the birds put on. And by 2020 these types of spots will be the only place to scratch out a few birds due to our liberal seasons.

Most guys don't have the small water rig needed to access this spot and even if they did I don't think many would put in the effort. Some guy must have heard our muzzle blasts Saturday and tried to get in there with a surface drive on Sunday. Judging by the four letter words he was shouting it was a frustrating attempt. Hopefully he was able to make his way back out.

prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Nershi wrote: Image Image

I like the looks of your trailer. Any full photos ... build it yourself ?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:04 pm

I didn't build this one but I've helped build others for people in our hunting group. This one was built by an old goose hunter that I knew that got too old to keep hunting. It was a double decker but we chopped the top off so it was easier to get a boat on it. That is why it has the two tones to it. My bro was supposed to finish the paint job but has been putting it off. Pretty basic build. Buy a small flatbed trailer or empty trailer frame and build a box on it with a couple boat racks. Cut two large doors on the top to load gear. Make sure it's got a good axle and springs to handle the weight. My old man put side doors on his in addition to top doors so you can access stuff without taking the boat off but the downside is much more dust gets in. Here is a pic from a couple years ago. Hub caps are my favorite part. If you want more specifics shoot me a pm. Image

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Geese flying over the house 10 PM Sunday and Monday, was out of town last night

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”