Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Morning vs Evening Hunts

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:03 am

Which has been more productive for you?

My hunting has been better with the morning hunts. It seems to provide more activity with bird movement.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Morning vs Evening Hunts

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am

Closer to winter, PM hunts are better. Otherwise AM.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 am

Mornings are usually better but this year with a lot of flooded corn around in the area I hunt we have been doing better in the evening. Birds have been staying in the corn overnight and then going to refuges.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:15 am

Morning hunts. Eves if hunting fields early in the season or during warm spells. Once the temps are staying below freezing for most of the day late morning or eves if hunting fields. Birds don't seem to like corn frozen rock solid.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Warm temps and clear skies promote waterfowl flights that are brief and mostly after LST

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Mid day (10-1) can be delightful hunting at times. You can get returning Mallards from the fields and also get into migrating ducks too. Some of my best puddle ducks hunting has been later AM hunting. But there were Mallards staging in the area, so the birds were around. Catching the migration flights can be spotty. Kind of like hunting Snows in the spring, some days crappy, some day holy crap lots of migrating birds. Some of my best Fall Snow hunts were in later AM as the birds were coming down out of the stratosphere right into the decoys.
Point being, don't rule out mid day hunting, or if hunting in the AM, maybe stick around until 11 to see what may happen as sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck gentlemen what ever time you get to head out.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm

I concur.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Evening has sucked balls last over the last week here in SD. Morning flights have been weak, maybe 25% of roosts going to feed. Mallards flying out after sundown and feeding into the night...but not moving from water to water in the mornings either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”